Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good WW1 romance novels? I am doing WW1 in general for this A2 and wanted to do some wider reading in the romance genre specifically. Any WW1 novel recommendations that are written from a female perspective are more than welcome too!!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by mollylyons)
    Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good WW1 romance novels? I am doing WW1 in general for this A2 and wanted to do some wider reading in the romance genre specifically. Any WW1 novel recommendations that are written from a female perspective are more than welcome too!!
    The Regeneration series are good (although from a male perspective) - the entire trilogy has romantic connotations throughout.
    Birdsong is also good (but the Romance kind of dies out half way through) - again from a male perspective though.
    I hope this is helpful - I realise that these novels are quite generic, but I am also using Regeneration for my coursework and find that there is quite a lot of material that can be used.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1998RF)
    The Regeneration series are good (although from a male perspective) - the entire trilogy has romantic connotations throughout.
    Birdsong is also good (but the Romance kind of dies out half way through) - again from a male perspective though.
    I hope this is helpful - I realise that these novels are quite generic, but I am also using Regeneration for my coursework and find that there is quite a lot of material that can be used.
    Thank you! I have read Birdsong and loved it! It is a shame that Stephen and Isabelle's relationship died out in the end. And I have just purchased Regeneration and intend on starting it after October half term - I will let you know what I think!

ReputationRep:
    I did Birdsong for my coursework at AS and I also enjoyed it, and Regeneration was good as well. You might like A Farewell To Arms, which is a male perspective but interesting, as the relationship shown in it is quite a strange one. A Testament of Youth is from a female perspective, and it's quite a long one so it might be a good one to dip in and out from. There is also a film of it, but I wouldn't recommend just relying on that.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by mollylyons)
    Thank you! I have read Birdsong and loved it! It is a shame that Stephen and Isabelle's relationship died out in the end. And I have just purchased Regeneration and intend on starting it after October half term - I will let you know what I think!
    I loved Birdsong too - Regeneration is (in my opinion) amazing - please let me know if you liked it. Have you read All Quiet on the Western Front? That is my favourite World War One book.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    I hated A Farewell to Arms. Most silliest WW1 novel, I've ever read! I did like the Regeneration trilogy because homosexuality isn't really discussed that much in other WW1 novels.

All Quiet on the Western Front is also a great novel.

The Soldier is supposed to be good too!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 28, 2015

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.