Turn on thread page Beta

How to relax, do hobbies and do work things? watch

I have severe anxiety, depression, ocd, stress and IBS. Every day I feel ill, stressed, anxious, tense and I have times where I don't feel like doing things but I feel like I should. I really struggle to relax and do my hobbies and I get really stressed and anxious at the idea of most work-related things and housework. I really want to just be normal again and feel relaxed and happy and do lots of my hobbies and do all the work without thinking and worrying and stressing. Plus with university, I always end up doing too much work and thinking about it too much and I don't really know how not to. My summers have not been as great as I remember them being previously and that's without full university work! I was wondering how anyone else in a similar situation tackles these issues and feels better? Any useful advice would be great, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I am not sure if I can really be much help but as someone who manages anxiety etc I feel like I could be useful. I hope! Instead of thinking to yourself how you want to do hobbies, relaxing, work and things around the house, why don't you just focus on one thing at a time? Mindfulness! Maybe write a list of like three things you want to accomplish during the day and make them small tasks so instead of cleaning the whole house, you focus on just one room. Or something small like going for a five minute walk, doing 30 mins of Uni work ect. Remember that if you feel tense you can stop the activity and remember you are in control. But small steps will hopefully give you back some control and make you feel better.
    Hope this helps. I also hope things get easier!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 11, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.