Turn on thread page Beta

How hard is it to get into a Russell Group University for Law? watch

Announcements

Hi all,

I'm going to be applying for a three years Honours Degree(LLB Law) to 5 Russell Group Universities. 3 of these Universities require AAA, 1 requires AAB and another requires ABB.

I achieved lower than expected AS grades, A in AS Law, A in AS Sociology, a B in History, which was close to an A, and a C in Economics.
    I am continuing with Law, History and Sociology and hope to have three A grades as my targets. I am also conducting an EPQ that I hope to achieve an A grade in.

I was just wondering, if my targets are AAA then how difficult it would be to apply to these Universities as I understand LLB Law is very competitive and how difficult would it be to be offered a place at these institutions?

ReputationRep:
    I would say it depends on the universities not necessarily the grades they are asking for.

I'm a first year Law student starting at Newcastle in a few weeks. I achieved ABCE at AS - a complete flop, compared to my GCSES where I achieved 11 A*s-As and a B.

However, some might have called me stupid to but, I applied to three russell groups (Newcastle, Cardiff, Liverpool) as well as Canterbury Christ Church and Reading.

Let's just say that I worked my butt off, retaking the whole of Geography and a module from Italian AS as well as taking up the EPQ. I firmed my highest offer which was AAA and I knew it was a huge gamble and would depend entirely on my retakes, but it paid off.

I ended up turning my ABCE into AAB(a)- in English Lit, Geography, Italian and EPQ and I still got in to Newcastle despite missing the required 3As.

Long story short- a good personal statement and a decent work experience will go a long way into getting offers, but what counts is the effort you put in afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    It is not as hard to get into an RG uni for law as people expect. It's really only the A*AA courses which are hard to gain entry onto; the rest are much easier.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 16, 2015
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.