Turn on thread page Beta

Feel inferior because of uni I'm going to watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    At first I was really pleased with my AS results but now I've realised lots of people around me are going to Oxbridge or other prestigious unis whereas I'm going to Swansea or Bath Spa probably. I've gone from pride (first in my family to go) to shame; to wishing I'd worked harder even though I don't think I could have done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daydreamer394)
    At first I was really pleased with my AS results but now I've realised lots of people around me are going to Oxbridge or other prestigious unis whereas I'm going to Swansea or Bath Spa probably. I've gone from pride (first in my family to go) to shame; to wishing I'd worked harder even though I don't think I could have done.
    There is absolutely no shame in this. Being the first in your family to go to uni is a huge thing in itself regardless of where you go. You should rightly feel proud of this achievement.

I was the first in my family to go to uni as well

In any case, you don't necessarily have to attend a prestigious university to do well in life. I know people who have attended unis which are lower down in the league tables than Swansea and Bath Spa and have done better than people who have attended Oxbridge.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by daydreamer394)
    There's really no point in comparing yourself to others. The most important thing is that you're going to a university you like to study a course you think you'll enjoy. If you're in the kind of environment where everybody is obsessing about Oxbridge (e.g. TSR) then of course you're going to be made to feel inadequate - TSR can make practically anybody feel inadequate, to be perfectly honest, if you let yourself feel like that - but you've got to remember that this "Oxbridge/Russel Group or else" attitude is pretty detached from reality. You can be hugely successful regardless of where you study, the important thing is that you're studying a course that's right for you and that you're making the most of it.

If you keep thinking about what you could have done better then you're just going to make yourself miserable. If you were initially pleased with your results, then that suggests to me that you have worked really hard so you deserve to be pleased with yourself. Regardless of what results you get, there will always be someone with better results than you so there's no point getting upset about results you should be pleased with just because someone else did better!

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.