Turn on thread page Beta

Started Uni last year studying a 3D Animation course. I enjoy it and everyone in the class is nice. There are no...how can I put this..idiots? (if you know what I mean?)
    Backstory: I am a really small guy. Probably just 5ft. As some people know, being small gives you a lack of confidence. Well thats me, no confidence and I am really shy and dont talk to people a lot whom I dont know. I dont really go to clubs, parties etc as I just dont like it?

I live at home as I am really close to my University. My university freshers week was kinda crap. I joined this football tryout, spoke to no-one, and it ended up being pointless anyway. Spent cash on wristbands, and ended up not using it. Joined a games group but that got boring. So that was my freshers over and done with. Throughout the year I made a group of friends within my class whom we worked well with for our project and independant work, giving tips, helping each other out etc. But apart from work and at uni, on weekends or days off they would do NOTHING. There not the 'cool' type to do things like going out, cinema, pub, eating out etc. I understand that as its my course 3D Animation, its not gonna have your typical cool going out people?... I made this other friend one day who was the type of 'cool' person (sorry if that word is getting rather annoying), Complete opposite of people in my class, but he kinda drank, went partying, even weed. Throughout the whole year we met up only 2-3 times and now our contact is zero. I dont speak to him anymore. On the other hand, my other friend at another uni has those good mates, who hangout a lot, work, go pub, central, etc.

My summer was even worst, most boring and awful summer ever! My 'group of friends' didn't contact or message anyone. No communication or anything. Some days where Id watch videos, or tv of people my age having fun and going out, I think back to what my uni mates and I did and get really pissed off with them for doing nothing at all, like no "hi hows everyone". But I probably know that once uni starts and were in groups working, it will just go back to normal. Even I did absolutely nothing this summer, nearly home everyday. Now the 2nd year of Uni is coming up, I really want to make an effort to make a group of 'good friends'.I dont just want to make friends who go out, but people more...exciting? Who actually DO STUFF. But the thing is, I am really shy and not confident. With my uni hosting meet-new-peopel groups, there is no way I would go by myself as I will know no-one and how would I start a convo? Will I ever make those 'good;friends? Will Uni ever be an enjoyment as it is shown through videos/films in America and even in the uk? A small chance I have is the new 1st years of my course, to see what there like but I have not got high hopes if there gonna be exactly the same as my 'friends' Do I have to grind the 2nd year out aswell?. HELP!! Sorry that this problem/post is really long.

ReputationRep:
    Yes

Get out of your comfort zone, do stuff by yourself and meet new people from that.

You have to try to initiate a conversation otherwise, things won't change and you don't want that.

Tl;dr
    Tl;dr

I don't have any good friends either

ReputationRep:
    Do you go to hertfordshire?

(Original post by Blackstarr)
    Get out of your comfort zone, do stuff by yourself and meet new people from that.

You have to try to initiate a conversation otherwise, things won't change and you don't want that.

Ye you have a fair point. Hopefully I can pluck up some courage to go to events/places by myself and talk to people

(Original post by ChickenMadness)
    Do you go to hertfordshire?
    No

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Ye you have a fair point. Hopefully I can pluck up some courage to go to events/places by myself and talk to people
    That is the spirit

ReputationRep:
    I think you should take a chance and go to the meet new people groups alone. You say you can't.. but why can't you? What's the worst that could happen? Physically you can go easily so just focus on that.. once you're there just join a group, introduce yourself, ask everyone what there course us, where they are from, do they have hobbies etc. Maybe try joining a new society this year don't waste your time waiting for people to invite you to things, either organise something or just go a long and see what happens

ReputationRep:
    If it helps I struggle to make friends too. Am really not very confident and when I speak to people im sure I sound like a ****... however I am now used to doing things on my own but now I am trying to get out of my comfort zone and do things that scare the life out of me like join the gym and volunteer work. Already I feel less of a **** when I open my mouth. I have spent years not really doing anything with my life and I now realise I want that to change and sitting around doing nothing about it aint going to make that happen.

Good luck

(Original post by Hevachan)
    I think you should take a chance and go to the meet new people groups alone. You say you can't.. but why can't you? What's the worst that could happen? Physically you can go easily so just focus on that.. once you're there just join a group, introduce yourself, ask everyone what there course us, where they are from, do they have hobbies etc. Maybe try joining a new society this year don't waste your time waiting for people to invite you to things, either organise something or just go a long and see what happens
    What I think is the worst that can happen is that I will be too shy to talk first. If people are in groups talking I am too..shy to go up and say hi (sounds really stupid I know). Hopefully if I go to any of these groups they can say hi to me first to make it easier ^^. Thanks for the information

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What I think is the worst that can happen is that I will be too shy to talk first. If people are in groups talking I am too..shy to go up and say hi (sounds really stupid I know). Hopefully if I go to any of these groups they can say hi to me first to make it easier ^^. Thanks for the information
    Well even if you can't find your voice you can always just stay in the room and someone is bound to talk to you, even if it's just the people running the event I went to a mature students one and it was surprisingly easy to make friends.. I just went over to the drinks and there was a group of people next to it so as I turned around after getting a drink I ended up in their group and they were all really friendly

(Original post by amyds2104)
    If it helps I struggle to make friends too. Am really not very confident and when I speak to people im sure I sound like a ****... however I am now used to doing things on my own but now I am trying to get out of my comfort zone and do things that scare the life out of me like join the gym and volunteer work. Already I feel less of a **** when I open my mouth. I have spent years not really doing anything with my life and I now realise I want that to change and sitting around doing nothing about it aint going to make that happen.

Good luck
    "when I speak to people im sure I sound like a ****", haha thats similar to me. I either rush my words, jumble them up or just carry on talking and make no sence! Ye I joined the gym, not my uni one, and am doing some volunteering soon so could get to know people there also. But even at my uni there isnt lots that interest me. I am not a clubbing/drinking person, not sporty either and then some groups/events dont interest me at all so that doesnt leave me many. But we will see when the time comes

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 14, 2015
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.