Turn on thread page Beta

Entry level jobs where you can read or listen to music on the job watch

ReputationRep:
    hey TSR

Like the title says, was wondering if anyone knew of any jobs where you can do the above on the job.
    Personal anecdotes and specific employer names are definitely welcome.

Bit of backstory, currently work in a bar and when it's quiet we're expected to stay just doing nothing (or anything that could possibly be done) and I just feel the spare time accumulated every week could be better spent doing something productive. Also in the market for a new job.

Anyone got any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    coffee shop? i worked at costa and it was sometimes like this

ReputationRep:
    When I worked in the Royal Mail sorting office, I could listen to the radio or music on my headphones. Same when I was a receptionist/administrator.

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, cheers for the ideas, didn't think of working in somewhere like a sorting office tbh, that's definitely going on my list of potentials

ReputationRep:
    Rural/farm jobs are good for this.

I use to love listening to Dr Dre when driving the combine or tractor.

ReputationRep:
    Dont know if its a good job or not but takeway delivery driver, obviously not reading but music is fine, its your car at the end of the day

ReputationRep:
    Any sort of office job - you can usually do this. There wont be someone checking your computer screen every second

ReputationRep:
    These are all awesome ideas, keep em coming
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Quantex)

Yep, especially when its a tractor and you can blast the radio loud like great craic unless you smash your auntie's plant pots coming back - then you'll have to hide it fast

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)

Did you switch to Snoop Dogg when dragging the ploughshare, and Soulja Boy for spreading manure?

ReputationRep:
    I read and play on my phone while working at Sainsbury's when its not so busy
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Did you switch to Snoop Dogg when dragging the ploughshare, and Soulja Boy for spreading manure?
    Spreading manure? Nahh its spreading artificial fertiliser on the quad bike while listening to Eminem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bollo's Lovechild)
    hey TSR

Like the title says, was wondering if anyone knew of any jobs where you can do the above on the job.
    Personal anecdotes and specific employer names are definitely welcome.

Bit of backstory, currently work in a bar and when it's quiet we're expected to stay just doing nothing (or anything that could possibly be done) and I just feel the spare time accumulated every week could be better spent doing something productive. Also in the market for a new job.

Anyone got any ideas?
    Instead of looking for a job where you can fill spare time, why not look for a job where there isn't much time to kill and every moment is spent being productive and putting smiles on people's faces? One where you can use your bar experience on a bar which will almost never be quiet, and then blast out some tunes when all the guests have gone home whilst you get stuck in with the team to set up for the next day? Here's one ... work at a hotel in Conference & Banqueting.

Anybody who's done bar work can get into it and you can clock up lots of hours so you make more money. Great for teamwork skills, working under pressure etc which all look good on your CV later. We're coming into Xmas party season and everyone's gonna be getting slammed so demand for staff is high right now.

Every day is different ... different guests with different functions requiring different floor plans and different timings and requests! Business lunches, conferences, boxing shows, weddings, funerals, concerts, beer festivals, Asian weddings, anniversaries, birthday parties, awards nights, school proms, charity lunches, fancy dress parties, Jewish weddings, baby showers, christenings, Bar Mitzvah's ... you name it, I've seen it hosted! Haha

ReputationRep:
    The guy who monitors the security cameras? Usually they just sit around and check the cameras every few mins???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    The guy who monitors the security cameras? Usually they just sit around and check the cameras every few mins???
    Ah yeah, this too. The night shift security guard in my old halls would just sit in reception watching films on his computer all night, ha. Well, I suppose there isn't really anything else much to do if there's no trouble to attend to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    Instead of looking for a job where you can fill spare time, why not look for a job where there isn't much time to kill and every moment is spent being productive and putting smiles on people's faces? One where you can use your bar experience on a bar which will almost never be quiet, and then blast out some tunes when all the guests have gone home whilst you get stuck in with the team to set up for the next day? Here's one ... work at a hotel in Conference & Banqueting.

Anybody who's done bar work can get into it and you can clock up lots of hours so you make more money. Great for teamwork skills, working under pressure etc which all look good on your CV later. We're coming into Xmas party season and everyone's gonna be getting slammed so demand for staff is high right now.

Every day is different ... different guests with different functions requiring different floor plans and different timings and requests! Business lunches, conferences, boxing shows, weddings, funerals, concerts, beer festivals, Asian weddings, anniversaries, birthday parties, awards nights, school proms, charity lunches, fancy dress parties, Jewish weddings, baby showers, christenings, Bar Mitzvah's ... you name it, I've seen it hosted! Haha
    That's definitely a good idea for many people, cheers for the suggestion

I've actually done lots of this kind of work in the past (done waiting, silver service, serving drinks and aperitifs etc - have a pretty long list of experience in the hospitality and catering industry), and it's not for me. I do get a buzz from giving others a good experience, but I'm definitely more an introverted character rather than someone who is happy entertaining lots of people at once. Also, whilst I'm more than happy to put a shift in and do my fair share, I don't think you should take entry-level jobs too seriously (especially when you're largely being exploited for profit). That's a whole other discussion though.

I really want to work somewhere like Holland & Barrett where there's lots of transferrable knowledge you pick up on the job and the store can be quiet, giving you time to think, but there's nowhere hiring near me so I need some more ideas. Any more ideas are very welcome btw

ReputationRep:
    A cyclist with Deliveroo?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.