The Student Room Group

Are meat eating vets the biggest hypocrites in the history of mankind?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
anyone who claims to love animals yet contributes to the unnecessary and barbaric torture and slaughter of innocent sentient beings is a big fat hypocrite. and agreed, we need more vegans in the world and fortunately we're on the rise!
How many times am I going to have to say that (planned) death is not a welfare issue. Life is when it matters, which is when vets are on hand to assist. Funnily enough, vets kill (and promote the death of) a lot of animals. Being interested in animal welfare and killing animals can, oddly enough, go hand in hand. If a rabbit has fleas do you think vets suffer emotional turmoil about whether or not to treat it? On one hand, fleas (animals) will die, oh noes! On the other hand, the rabbit is suffering for it. The same for a dog with worms. Should the worms die, or should they just be left unmanaged so that our kids get blinded? Please see that there is a bigger picture.

I'm still struggling with the 'biggest hypocrites ever in human civilisation' thing :lol: What a joke.

I've seen Earthlings, thanks. Nothing especially ground breaking that hasn't been shown on PETA's website a million times before, in my opinion.
Well, yes. But see my previous post regarding the fact that killing isn't always a bad thing.

Pretending you give a **** by "improving welfare" until they die is just delusional and trying to negate your bad karma. Killing animals is unnecessary, violent, wrong, and humans do not need to do it to survive, end of.

Vets don't 'pretend' to give a ****, they do give a ****. Hence why they've trained to do a job that makes a difference to the lives of the animals they treat. I disagree with your second statement.

Unfortunately we do it, fine, you eat meat, fine, but don't try to kid yourself that you are a compassionate, humane person, because you are not. All meat eaters contribute towards an industry in which animals are tortured and killed. That is not humane. Stop living a lie, accept the fact and live your life knowing the truth instead of trying to pretend otherwise. Thank you :smile:

I don't remember saying anything about my eating habits (and nor do I remember saying I'm a vet as you seem to have implied. Give me a few years though). Either way I'm okay with being an uncompassionate person in the eyes of an uneducated person with no understanding of where the important issues lie. I won't cry too hard about it, promise :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm going to get trolled to death for this, but no I don't think it is.The thing is, vets work in the industry and make an informed decision, not like your average consumer who just blindly picks the cheapest factory farmed meat they can find. A lot of vets I know were vegetarians when they were teenagers, but once they got to vet school and learnt more about the industry they changed their minds because they saw for themselves that it wasn't as bad as they thought.
The other thing is, vets promote better welfare for animals. What I think is more hypocritical is keyboard warrior vegans who do nothing to promote better welfare other than tell people off for having a different lifestyle. I think vegetarianism/veganism is a great thing to do and I get you don't want to give money to an industry that you think is inherently evil, but I think you would help a lot more animals if all vegans gave money to animal welfare charities who make a difference. Giving a small donation to compassion in world farming or the RSPCA might make more a difference to animals lives than eating a tofu burger and calling people scum for eating cheese. But that's just my opinion and I'm a meat eater so I will obviously be wrong :biggrin:
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
How many times am I going to have to say that (planned) death is not a welfare issue. Life is when it matters, which is when vets are on hand to assist. Funnily enough, vets kill (and promote the death of) a lot of animals. Being interested in animal welfare and killing animals can, oddly enough, go hand in hand. If a rabbit has fleas do you think vets suffer emotional turmoil about whether or not to treat it? On one hand, fleas (animals) will die, oh noes! On the other hand, the rabbit is suffering for it. The same for a dog with worms. Should the worms die, or should they just be left unmanaged so that our kids get blinded? Please see that there is a bigger picture.

I'm still struggling with the 'biggest hypocrites ever in human civilisation' thing :lol: What a joke.

I've seen Earthlings, thanks. Nothing especially ground breaking that hasn't been shown on PETA's website a million times before, in my opinion.

Yep sadly farm animals are going to die because we've bred them for food. In a way it's cruel but it's a wheel that's been spinning for a long time and I don't think it wil, be stopped with TSR threads. Vets are there to stop excess suffering and improve their quality of life. Even if vets are vegetarians, we still have to work in the industry at some point, so are therefore contributing to it. I've seen the industry, I don't think it's terrible. I've worked on battery farms, I've worked on organic farms. I've seen things on both ive disagreed with, but 99% of what I see I don't think is an issue. Farmers and vets DO care about animals, it's just unfortunate that some animals also happen to be really tasty.
Watching a film does not make you an expert on the meat industry. If you care so much, go out there, work on a farm, see what you think. If you still disagree, then fine, at least you've seen it for yourself and not just in a biased film (yes, those films and the PETA website are biased). But please don't say vets don't care about animals. They work too goddam hard to put up with your BS
Pro-choice vegan activists
I think the point you missed in your statement is that the vets promote/improve the animals' welfare and quality of life within those industries up to the point of death. It is a fact that their lives are improved, and a fact that those industries exist and will continue to exist. Would it be better for the vets to abandon them, in an attempt to avoid being hypocrytical, and allow their welfare to go completely unregulated?

I do agree that there are parts of these industries that require further improvement, but to say the vets do not promote animal welfare is simply not true.

As for eating meat, humans are naturally omniverous, and so can and will eat both plant and animal matter. Would you prevent a brown bear from eating meat because it is able go also eat fruit and grass shoots? It is the natural behaviour of the bear to kill and eat other animals, and by providing animal welfare we must attempt to provide the animal with the freedom to express natural behaviour. Similarly it is a humans natural behaviour to eat meat, and as an animal ourself we are preserving our own welfare.
Well ultimately nothing matters anyway.

Existential nihilism ftw.
Original post by Louiseee_
Yep sadly farm animals are going to die because we've bred them for food. In a way it's cruel but it's a wheel that's been spinning for a long time and I don't think it wil, be stopped with TSR threads. Vets are there to stop excess suffering and improve their quality of life. Even if vets are vegetarians, we still have to work in the industry at some point, so are therefore contributing to it. I've seen the industry, I don't think it's terrible. I've worked on battery farms, I've worked on organic farms. I've seen things on both ive disagreed with, but 99% of what I see I don't think is an issue. Farmers and vets DO care about animals, it's just unfortunate that some animals also happen to be really tasty.
Watching a film does not make you an expert on the meat industry. If you care so much, go out there, work on a farm, see what you think. If you still disagree, then fine, at least you've seen it for yourself and not just in a biased film (yes, those films and the PETA website are biased). But please don't say vets don't care about animals. They work too goddam hard to put up with your BS

I'm.... going to assume that you meant to quote someone else? :tongue: I've never claimed to be any sort of expert.

Anyway, yes. Animals die for food. I don't think that killing animals is wrong, as previously explained. Nor do I think that meat rearing practices are necessarily cruel. Other animals kill to eat (and for other reasons). It's an acceptable belief that this is unjustified, but living a vegan lifestyle is the belief that animals are not there for food, milk, eggs, companionship... anything (I personally think that a lot of the practices involved in raising animals for pet shops are a lot more barbaric than the ones in the meat industry, but that's a story for another day :tongue: ). Personally I would rather live in a world with animal companionship :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
I am a cat who is a vet I'm afraid. Now put that in your pipe and smoke it.
Original post by redferry
And this, folks, is how you prevent anyone converting to vegetarianism.

I'm cutting the amount of meat I eat down. Like I put quorn in my curries instead fo chicken :puppyeyes:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I'm cutting the amount of meat I eat down. Like I put quorn in my curries instead fo chicken :puppyeyes:

Good on you! Every little helps.
Original post by Little Popcorns
Not really the animals they save eat meat...

Or should they turn around and say to the pet cat/dog sorry mate it'd be wrong for me to save you when you've eaten dead animals... You deserve to join them :rolleyes:

Reply 53
Original post by Scienceisgood
Sorry, was mostly a little hungover from last night...

Basically, humans can eat meat, that much is irrefutable.
Secondly, while vets are meant to save animals, they also have to develop a tough exterior because of the sheer number of animals they can't save. As a Biomedical student, I have had to tell parents that they're kids can't be saved if they have cancer, internal bleeding etc... so it is a case of, as I said before. Life sucks, deal with it, just not in such a nice way.

So, yes, while it is MILDLY hypocritical, to develop a kind of relationship with a patient is dangerous to both a Doctor and a Vet's profession because it can affect said opinions and what is best for the patient.

They allow biomed students to tell parents that their children are going to die of cancer?

That's utterly disgraceful.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Good on you! Every little helps.

It's easier to cook as well ^.^
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
I'm.... going to assume that you meant to quote someone else? :tongue: I've never claimed to be any sort of expert.

Anyway, yes. Animals die for food. I don't think that killing animals is wrong, as previously explained. Nor do I think that meat rearing practices are necessarily cruel. Other animals kill to eat (and for other reasons). It's an acceptable belief that this is unjustified, but living a vegan lifestyle is the belief that animals are not there for food, milk, eggs, companionship... anything (I personally think that a lot of the practices involved in raising animals for pet shops are a lot more barbaric than the ones in the meat industry, but that's a story for another day :tongue: ). Personally I would rather live in a world with animal companionship :h:

Oh sh*t my bad, meant to quote you in support/agreement and then went on a massive rant :tongue:l I didn't meant to like shout at you 😂
The mental thing is, some vegans would prefer it if the animals we breed for food didn't exist. So if we stop eating them, what are they going to do, magically poof out of existence?
Do you guys know that some dog breeders have whole litters of puppies euthanised if they don't meet "breed standard"? Admittedly, they don't go on to eat the puppies, but because of those few A**holes should we stop everyone keeping dogs? I know it seems like a random argument but the likes of PETA say "here a few examples of sh*tty farmers who don't look after animals properly, so let's stop every single farmer from having animals",& it's this logic tht their argument is based on
Well ultimately nothing matters anyway.

Existential nihilism ftw.

:colonhash:

With that sort of attitude, why even get up in the morning? If it doesn't matter, why did you even post?
Y'all better know it, you're next on the menu
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
:colonhash:

With that sort of attitude, why even get up in the morning? If it doesn't matter, why did you even post?

I just try not to think about it. But ultimately is is the truth. Just got to stay distracted from that fact :tongue:

In a weird way it is liberating. Like I don't have to take no crap from authority or religion. A priest tells me being a serf is all part of god's plan, and I;m all like, err no, **** off! Peasants revolt!

Plus I need to eat. Biology got that one sorted. I also have a pesky inbuilt desire to keep living.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Little Popcorns
Y'all better know it, you're next on the menu

I think you won this thread with that.

[video="youtube;xkR2XEYEFgk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkR2XEYEFgk[/video]

Before anyone gets annoyed I like and respect vegetarians. If there was any big political push that looked like it may be successful in instilling big vegetarian like ideals and results accross society I would back it. But me going veggy isn't going to stop horrible factory farming. I'll cut down and trey and buy as human as possible products. But I;m not going full veggie any time soon.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending