Turn on thread page Beta

Should I study and practice medicine in the US or the UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know that i want to study and practice orthopedic surgery in the near future as i am now in year 12, in the UK.
    I was just wondering where the best p,ace to practice would be, un terms of working hours, condition, salary, etc.
    I am going to try and study wherever i am going to work, however i do need to figure out the better place. Please help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milan99)
    I know that i want to study and practice orthopedic surgery in the near future as i am now in year 12, in the UK.
    I was just wondering where the best p,ace to practice would be, un terms of working hours, condition, salary, etc.
    I am going to try and study wherever i am going to work, however i do need to figure out the better place. Please help.
    It's very difficult to get accepted into US medical schools as an international student (assuming you don't have American citizenship) - furthermore, they would not allow you to start medical school at 18, whereas you would be able to do this in the UK. You would most likely need to do a US undergraduate degree and it is also worth remembering that it is significantly more expensive to train in the US.

Personally I would stay in the UK. US surgeons might earn more, but UK consultants certainly don't do badly by any means. If you're really that keen on practising there, you could do the USMLE during medical school.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.