Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, everyone. I have some doubts as well as my subject teacher (teaches Chinese language since I'll be applying for Oriental studies, I've been learning it in my high school for 4 years) since it's her first time to write a reference letter to Oxford university. Sooo, here they are:

1. Just one reference letter is enough, isn't it?
    2. Is there a word limit for this kind of letter?
    3. Since my subject teacher is NOT my homeroom teacher, can she still write predicted grades of ALL my subjects for this senior school year or just for Chinese language?
    4.Should predicted grades be suggested at the beginning or at the end of the reference letter (or does this even matter)?
    5. Is teacher supposed to mention health issues and current therapy or an applicant mention in personal statement instead?
    6.Should I send this letter (along with essays and personal statement) in .doc (.docx) format or .pdf format?
    7. Should reference letter have a school logo?
    8. Can I consider this letter as an example (although it's for hospital but never mind):
    http://drsteves.com/wp-content/uploa...mmendation.jpg
    9. What about extracurricular activities like competitions and certificates in some subjects that are crucial for Oriental studies (Chinese, History, Literature...)? Should teacher mention them or not? Should HSK and HSKK exam be mentioned (I'll be taking HSK level 3 this year)?
    10. I read somewhere that Oxford requires school's website in the letter. Is this true?

Yeah, I know it may have some unimportant questions, but I don't want to think about those same details that can separate me from success or failure.
    Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nancy97)
    Hello, everyone. I have some doubts as well as my subject teacher (teaches Chinese language since I'll be applying for Oriental studies, I've been learning it in my high school for 4 years) since it's her first time to write a reference letter to Oxford university. Sooo, here they are:

1. Just one reference letter is enough, isn't it?
    2. Is there a word limit for this kind of letter?
    3. Since my subject teacher is NOT my homeroom teacher, can she still write predicted grades of ALL my subjects for this senior school year or just for Chinese language?
    4.Should predicted grades be suggested at the beginning or at the end of the reference letter (or does this even matter)?
    5. Is teacher supposed to mention health issues and current therapy or an applicant mention in personal statement instead?
    6.Should I send this letter (along with essays and personal statement) in .doc (.docx) format or .pdf format?
    7. Should reference letter have a school logo?
    8. Can I consider this letter as an example (although it's for hospital but never mind):
    http://drsteves.com/wp-content/uploa...mmendation.jpg
    9. What about extracurricular activities like competitions and certificates in some subjects that are crucial for Oriental studies (Chinese, History, Literature...)? Should teacher mention them or not? Should HSK and HSKK exam be mentioned (I'll be taking HSK level 3 this year)?
    10. I read somewhere that Oxford requires school's website in the letter. Is this true?

Yeah, I know it may have some unimportant questions, but I don't want to think about those same details that can separate me from success or failure.
    Thanks in advance.
    Have your tutors read: https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/a...s-reference%3F and https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...-get-reference

1. Yes
    2. Yes (4000 characters or 47 lines of text)
    3. Yes. Presumably, your referee should liaise with your other teachers to confirm your predicted scores in those subjects
    4. There should be a separate section on UCAS for predicted grades I think.
    5. Yes. You should have your tutor mention extenuating circumstances.
    6. Assuming you're applying online, your referee gets a link and they can type the reference into UCAS directly.
    7. 8. Refer to the UCAS guide on how to write references
    9. You can mention these yourself in your personal statement
    10. Don't think so.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, mishieru07
    So, does this mean that my teacher gets a link where she writes a reference letter and predicted grades?
    And thank you for these links, I didn't have them. But now I do! Thank you one more!
    Oh yeah, when you say that word limit is 4000 word, i.e. 47 lines, do spaces count? EDIT: Never mind, I've read it in the link you provided me with) And how do I send a certificate that ratifies my knowledge of English (it's IELTS Academic, to be more precise)? Do I have to scan it and then send in .pdf format? And yes, I'm applying online, of course.
    And should teacher 'log in'? Because I've read that in this link:
    https://www.ucas.com/advisers/refere...ate-references

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, mishieru07
    So, does this mean that my teacher gets a link where she writes a reference letter and predicted grades?
    And thank you for these links, I didn't have them. But now I do! Thank you one more!
    Oh yeah, when you say that word limit is 4000 word, i.e. 47 lines, do spaces count? EDIT: Never mind, I've read it in the link you provided me with) And how do I send a certificate that ratifies my knowledge of English (it's IELTS Academic, to be more precise)? Do I have to scan it and then send in .pdf format? And yes, I'm applying online, of course.
    And should teacher 'log in'? Because I've read that in this link:
    https://www.ucas.com/advisers/refere...ate-references
    When you do the IELTS, there a TRF number on the bottom of the result page, and you just submit it on ucas

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    PlayerBB Oh, right, I've found it! There are so many details I don't know about, there will always be something new to learn though. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    PlayerBB Oh, right, I've found it! There are so many details I don't know about, there will always be something new to learn though. Thanks.
    Yh haha, and you're welcome 😃😃

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    PlayerBB ^___^

And how does the teacher send a reference letter? As much as I know, the teacher sends it via my UCAS application in section 'Reference' or something like that. So we have to send the application together, I suppose?
    And does the teacher have to fill in some details about her, like contact and some personal details?

ReputationRep:
    PlayerBB ^___^

And how does the teacher send a reference letter? As much as I know, the teacher sends it via my UCAS application in section 'Reference' or something like that. So we have to send the application together, I suppose?
    And does the teacher have to fill in some details about her, like contact and some personal details?
    If you're applying independently then, you ask a teacher to be your referee, if he/she accepts then you ask her/him for the postal address and their email, there is a reference section in which you provide these details, UCAS will send the referee an email with instructions, and there will be a blank space on UCAS like the one for personal statement and the referee writes it there if you're applying by school, then the school fill the details and attach the reference to your application 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Right, I got it! Thaaaaaank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    Right, I got it! Thaaaaaank you so much!
    You're welcome

Posted from TSR Mobile

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.