Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm in upper sixth and I want to apply to Oxford for History and Italian.

I'm taking the A-levels History, English Lit and French. I'm on track to get A*s in Lit and French, but I messed up my history AS (81%) and it's almost impossible for me to get an A* now.

I know the standard offer for History and a Language is A*AA, so my question is this: will the A* be subject specific to History? This seems likely to me as it's the only one of the subjects I'm applying for that I'm studying now.

And if I were to get that offer, then get an A in history but A*s in the other two subjects, would I still get a place?

Thanks so much for any help you can give.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by busterposey)
    Hi everyone,

I'm in upper sixth and I want to apply to Oxford for History and Italian.

I'm taking the A-levels History, English Lit and French. I'm on track to get A*s in Lit and French, but I messed up my history AS (81%) and it's almost impossible for me to get an A* now.

I know the standard offer for History and a Language is A*AA, so my question is this: will the A* be subject specific to History? This seems likely to me as it's the only one of the subjects I'm applying for that I'm studying now.

And if I were to get that offer, then get an A in history but A*s in the other two subjects, would I still get a place?

Thanks so much for any help you can give.
    Getting an A* requires 90% at A2 and an average of 80% overall. Given your AS result, you will automatically fulfil the second criterion by achieving the first.

Oxford could choose to make either offer.

In the scenario you describe, it's up to them whether to accept or reject you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    Getting an A* requires 90% at A2 and an average of 80% overall. Given your AS result, you will automatically fulfil the second criterion by achieving the first.

Oxford could choose to make either offer.

In the scenario you describe, it's up to them whether to accept or reject you.
    That's so helpful, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    The standard offer for History and Modern Languages is AAA not A*AA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucilou101)
    The standard offer for History and Modern Languages is AAA not A*AA
    I was going on the safe side I've heard that in practice you rarely get the three A offer, could be wrong though.

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    I was going on the safe side I've heard that in practice you rarely get the three A offer, could be wrong though.

Cheers!
    Everyone gets the standard offer at Oxford. I've never heard of anyone getting a higher offer (although it does sometimes happen at Cambridge - so that could be where the misinformation has come from).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucilou101)
    Everyone gets the standard offer at Oxford. I've never heard of anyone getting a higher offer (although it does sometimes happen at Cambridge - so that could be where the misinformation has come from).
    So I'm guaranteed to get an offer of AAA (if I get an offer obviously, not that I'm guarnateed an offer )?

That's really useful to know.

ReputationRep:
    So I'm guaranteed to get an offer of AAA (if I get an offer obviously, not that I'm guarnateed an offer )?

That's really useful to know.
    Yep

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.