Turn on thread page Beta

Is A level history hard watch

ReputationRep:
    I got an A star in GCSE history and im thinking about picking it in A level. Is it hard?

ReputationRep:
    There are a variety of topics to study from in History, mostly I believe constitute to two different units (Unit 1 exam paper 1 and Unit 2 exam paper 2). In my first year, I studied Totalitarian regimes and dictatorships - Stalin, Mussolini and Hitler. I found this very interesting, especially when studying Stalin's rise to power. On unit 2, I studied Charles I and his absolutist regimes as a monarch. This was interesting, but quite frankly my love for this kind of history is not as passionate compared to modern. If you put in the work, remember the facts and show interest in the subject you should come out with a good grade. I will not say it is easy because the knowledge you need to know at AS is a huge step up from what you need to in GCSE. Also, in terms of essays, it is obviously comparatively harder to gain marks. In some exam boards and exam papers, you will also need to study historians and their interpretations and views on different matters; with this in mind you need to answer why their is debate and conclude what you agree with.

I'm currently doing A2 and studying the USSR, from its rise to collapse in the 1990s. The other specification is the coursework side to it. Be prepared to undergo a lot of reading into different historian books regarding the question you are given. Apparently, if you stick to deadlines, read, extract and prepare, it is quite easy to get an A. My coursework is down to the holocaust and about how it all occurred and whether German Culture naturally had an 'exterminationst Antisemitism'. You will have to do quite some reading as it involves understanding the debate between many historians over this matter.

ReputationRep:
    i got an A at GCSE, however i only got a C at AS; it was one ums off a B overall tho, i'd say it can be hard in places but i enjoy it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 14, 2015
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.