Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got 2720 in my UKCAT, and was thinking about applying to Glasgow, Aberdeen and Manchester. Is there any point applying to Newcastle or will i not even get an interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AimeeOlivia)
    I got 2720 in my UKCAT, and was thinking about applying to Glasgow, Aberdeen and Manchester. Is there any point applying to Newcastle or will i not even get an interview?
    It is hard to call Newcastle/Durham this year, as their long term cut off would be around 690. That got blown out the water 2 years ago when UKCAT averages went silly and it went up to 745. As a result, loads of people with 700-750 did not apply last year, fearful they would not get an offer, so the cut off dropped right back to about 575. This year it is either going to shoot up again with everyone thinking they stand a chance or people avoiding it as they can't call the cut off. My suspicion is it will settle to around 700

ReputationRep:
    well put GANFYD.

I got 702.5 this year and I am also trying to work out the mentality of the people who is going to apply. But I think the latter and every man and his dog are going to think they stand a chance and apply and I wouldn't be surprised if the cut-off reaches silly heights like 745-750 again.

but as you say, I think long term it will again settle at around 700 but not this year.

for this reason I'm avoiding Newcastle as it is better to maximise your chances. unless you must go there, I wouldn't apply with anything under 730. it might be a wasted choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pbw)
    well put GANFYD.

I got 702.5 this year and I am also trying to work out the mentality of the people who is going to apply. But I think the latter and every man and his dog are going to think they stand a chance and apply and I wouldn't be surprised if the cut-off reaches silly heights like 745-750 again.

but as you say, I think long term it will again settle at around 700 but not this year.

for this reason I'm avoiding Newcastle as it is better to maximise your chances. unless you must go there, I wouldn't apply with anything under 730. it might be a wasted choice
    I have 730 exactly, hopefully the cut off is not higher as I have applied to Durham which uses the Newcastle cut off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahil_)
    I have 730 exactly, hopefully the cut off is not higher as I have applied to Durham which uses the Newcastle cut off.
    I suspect you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pbw)
    well put GANFYD.

Looking back historically, newcastle have taken a cut off position at around the 6-10 decile range so I would expect the cut off to be 670 this yr after reviewing the recent ukcat data that has been released. It was only last year where they took the top decile the previous was the top 4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lordcavendish)
    Looking back historically, newcastle have taken a cut off position at around the 6-10 decile range so I would expect the cut off to be 670 this yr after reviewing the recent ukcat data that has been released. It was only last year where they took the top decile the previous was the top 4.
    Last year the cut off was in the 3rd decile, for reasons discussed elsewhere on the forum. The 2 years before that it was in the 9th decile. As people get wiser about applying to their strengths, those with higher UKCAT scores are going to be more likely to apply to UKCAT heavy Unis like Newcastle, which will have the effect of pushing the cut off up, as can generally be seen over the years (barring last year). Though nobody knows what is going to happen, and this is an even more difficult year to call than most

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.