Turn on thread page Beta

How is the Poisson Distribution derived? watch

ReputationRep:
    I spent about 4/5 hours learning about combinatorics so I could understand the formula for the Binomial distribution and now I completely understand it, but the next day, we were taught about the Poisson distribution and I have no idea how on Earth someone came up with it.

And don't just tell me that e^{\lambda} = {\lambda}^0 + {\lambda}^1 + \frac{{\lambda}^2}{2} + ..., so 1 = \frac{e^{\lambda}}{e^{\lambda}} = \frac{\lambda^0}{e^{\lambda}}+ \frac{\lambda^1}{e^{\lambda}}+ \frac{\lambda^2}{2! \times e^{\lambda}} + ... + \frac{\lambda^n}{n! \times e^{\lambda}} + ... because that says absolutely nothing about how it relates to probability other than it's neat because they all add up to 1; like probabilities do.

My guess is that somebody assumed the mean and the variance are equal, and using this assumption -- amongst others -- you can derive the poisson distribution; but I have absolutely no clue how. If it requires calculus, I'm up for that, but any help at all would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Argghhh...my teacher explained this to me once, now I've completely forgotten it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callum Scott)
    I spent about 4/5 hours learning about combinatorics so I could understand the formula for the Binomial distribution and now I completely understand it, but the next day, we were taught about the Poisson distribution and I have no idea how on Earth someone came up with it.

And don't just tell me that e^{\lambda} = {\lambda}^0 + {\lambda}^1 + \frac{{\lambda}^2}{2} + ..., so 1 = \frac{e^{\lambda}}{e^{\lambda}} = \frac{\lambda^0}{e^{\lambda}}+ \frac{\lambda^1}{e^{\lambda}}+ \frac{\lambda^2}{2! \times e^{\lambda}} + ... + \frac{\lambda^n}{n! \times e^{\lambda}} + ... because that says absolutely nothing about how it relates to probability other than it's neat because they all add up to 1; like probabilities do.

My guess is that somebody assumed the mean and the variance are equal, and using this assumption -- amongst others -- you can derive the poisson distribution; but I have absolutely no clue how. If it requires calculus, I'm up for that, but any help at all would be appreciated!
    look at Q86 in this link
    http://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_..._questions.pdf

ReputationRep:

Here's something I found last year regarding the Poisson:
    http://www.pp.rhul.ac.uk/~cowan/stat...oissonNote.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Right so:

\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{n\times e^{-\lambda}\lambda^n}{n!} \equiv e^{-\lambda}\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^  {\infty} \frac{n\times\lambda^n}{n!}

e^{-\lambda}\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^  {\infty} \frac{n\times\lambda^n}{n!}

= e^{-\lambda}\left[ \frac{0\cdot \lambda^0}{0!} + \frac{1\cdot \lambda^1}{1!} + \frac{2\cdot \lambda^2}{2!} + \frac{3\cdot \lambda^3}{3!} + \cdots \right]

= e^{-\lambda} \left[ \frac{\lambda^1}{0!} + \frac{\lambda^2}{1!} + \frac{\lambda^3}{2!} + \frac{\lambda^4}{3!} + \cdots \right]

= e^{-\lambda} \left[ \frac{1}{0!} + \frac{\lambda^1}{1!} + \frac{\lambda^2}{2!} + \frac{\lambda^3}{3!} + \cdots \right]\cdot\lambda

= e^{-\lambda}e^{\lambda}\cdot\lambda

= \lambda

OK, I get that this shows that the expected value is lambda, which is cool and all; but how did the formula get derivedso that it shows that the expected value is lambda?!

ReputationRep:
    Right so:

\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{n\times e^{-\lambda}\lambda^n}{n!} \equiv e^{-\lambda}\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^  {\infty} \frac{n\times\lambda^n}{n!}

e^{-\lambda}\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^  {\infty} \frac{n\times\lambda^n}{n!}

= e^{-\lambda}\left[ \frac{0\cdot \lambda^0}{0!} + \frac{1\cdot \lambda^1}{1!} + \frac{2\cdot \lambda^2}{2!} + \frac{3\cdot \lambda^3}{3!} + \cdots \right]

= e^{-\lambda} \left[ \frac{\lambda^1}{0!} + \frac{\lambda^2}{1!} + \frac{\lambda^3}{2!} + \frac{\lambda^4}{3!} + \cdots \right]

= e^{-\lambda} \left[ \frac{1}{0!} + \frac{\lambda^1}{1!} + \frac{\lambda^2}{2!} + \frac{\lambda^3}{3!} + \cdots \right]\cdot\lambda

= e^{-\lambda}e^{\lambda}\cdot\lambda

= \lambda

OK, I get that this shows that the expected value is lambda, which is cool and all; but how did the formula get derivedso that it shows that the expected value is lambda?!
    if you do not understand from this examplehow that proves it, you need to revise the method of how to find the mean and variance of a discrete distribution

ReputationRep:
    Is this for s2 in maths a level? Do you actually need to know this? Like the proof? Wtf

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anoymous1111)
    Is this for s2 in maths a level? Do you actually need to know this? Like the proof? Wtf

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Keep your hair on... it is not examinable.
    (it would have been if I was writing the syllabus/exam...)
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    it is not examinable.
    what a shame

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    if you do not understand from this examplehow that proves it, you need to revise the method of how to find the mean and variance of a discrete distribution
    It proves it, but I want the thought process of coming up with it! I want to understand what it actually does, rather than just use it like a tool belt for S2

ReputationRep:
    It proves it, but I want the thought process of coming up with it! I want to understand what it actually does, rather than just use it like a tool belt for S2
    That's fair enough just worrying that I need to know it! I don't need to know this do I? For s2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    fact one
    all the terms of this infinite series add up to 1
    Thus it may represent a discrete probability distribution

fact two
    for any discrete random variable E(X) = SUM(xP(X=x)
    For this probability distribution we get EXPECTATION = λ

fact three

for any discrete random variable Var(X) = E(X2)- [E(X)]2, where E(X2) = SUM(x2P(X=x)
    For this probability distribution we get VARAINCE = λ

conclusion
    this infinite series may define a discrete probability distribution with mean and variance λ.

END OF TRANSMISSION

ReputationRep:
    That's fair enough just worrying that I need to know it! I don't need to know this do I? For s2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nope, not at all I don't think
    As I mentioned in the title, I spent ages learning what on earth the N choose X part did in the binomial distribution formula, and I must say, it really does help to understand the formulae. I had real trouble with the variance and s.d. formula and only got 80/100 on S1, my lowest mark :C but since I've learned what it actually does; it's second nature to me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    okay but where did you find out in the first place that the poisson distribution has mean=variance, and how do you show that this property is unique to the poisson distribution (thus the formula you get must correspond to the poisson)

ReputationRep:

The Poisson distribution was actually first derived as an approximation for the binomial distribution, see question 4 here https://www0.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/f.../13/Sheet3.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imsoanonymous123)
    okay but where did you find out in the first place that the poisson distribution has mean=variance, and how do you show that this property is unique to the poisson distribution (thus the formula you get must correspond to the poisson)
    I am trying to explain but with all due respect this looks to be above your current understanding, as your question is circular.

Your questions is equivalent to asking:

How do you prove that tanx = sinx / cosx

Somebody far brighter than me and you (Mr Simeon Poisson) produces an infinite series whose terms add up to 1.

this implies he could use it as a model.

what is the expectation and variance of such distribution.
    the same number.

this distribution is called Poisson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    I am trying to explain but with all due respect this looks to be above your current understanding, as your question is circular.

Your questions is equivalent to asking:

How do you prove that tanx = sinx / cosx

Somebody far brighter than me and you (Mr Simeon Poisson) produces an infinite series whose terms add up to 1.

this implies he could use it as a model.

what is the expectation and variance of such distribution.
    the same number.

this distribution is called Poisson.
    okay then let me rephrase my question: what is the significance of having mean = variance in a situation that models the distribution of the events with the properties that poisson have:

Uniform, Singular, Indepent, Random

yea im pretty bad at statistics but come on bro, if its in a level it cant possibly be beyond my understanding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imsoanonymous123)
    okay then let me rephrase my question: what is the significance of having mean = variance in a situation that models the distribution of the events with the properties that poisson have:

Uniform, Singular, Indepent, Random

yea im pretty bad at statistics but come on bro, if its in a level it cant possibly be beyond my understanding
    I would sincerely love to help you further, but at the moment I am working myself and we are going around in circles as I am a terrible teacher.

Hopefully someone else will come along and might find the "right" words to explain it better.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Will you recall the concept in 2 years time if you don't learn the proof?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    I would sincerely love to help you further, but at the moment I am working myself and we are going around in circles as I am a terrible teacher.

Hopefully someone else will come along and mind find the "right" words to explain it better.
    ok thanks for your time anyway =)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 13, 2015
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.