Turn on thread page Beta

Hey there

So a little background, im 20, going to study at university this year however there really isnt much to me. I spend a whole lot of time doing a whole lot of nothing and ive recently joined a facebook groupchat for freshers in the same type of accommodation. I've spoken to them a little and i have bits in common with odd people but there's nothing exciting about me and i have a sinking feeling that that's going to limit me quite a bit.

An example of this being this morning, i woke up to find a lot of them, talking about how they ski or snowboard, the places they've been, the closest i've come to that is sledging in the garden. Hardly comparable.

I just seem to have this sinking feeling that there will be some fantastic conversations at uni and during them, im going to be sat on the sidelines unable to contribute. Im sure there will be others like me on my course but i've always seen uni as a place i can re-invent myself however im not so sure the past 20 years of shaping me are going to let me change into who i want to be so easily.

Anyone have experiences fitting in, changing themselves, that type of stuff they can share? I'm not here looking for an answer, just experiences of others tha may have once thought the same things.

Regards

ReputationRep:
    It's not like you have to have done everything in life before you go to uni. You made it to uni because of your grades so you can talk about a subject of your interest - unless they're all doing different subjects; in that case, appear interested in the people that talk more; get them talking more about their hobbies and maybe even ask how you can learn. It's a way of showing your enthusiasm without knowing how to do what they do.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey there

So a little background, im 20, going to study at university this year however there really isnt much to me. I spend a whole lot of time doing a whole lot of nothing and ive recently joined a facebook groupchat for freshers in the same type of accommodation. I've spoken to them a little and i have bits in common with odd people but there's nothing exciting about me and i have a sinking feeling that that's going to limit me quite a bit.

An example of this being this morning, i woke up to find a lot of them, talking about how they ski or snowboard, the places they've been, the closest i've come to that is sledging in the garden. Hardly comparable.

I just seem to have this sinking feeling that there will be some fantastic conversations at uni and during them, im going to be sat on the sidelines unable to contribute. Im sure there will be others like me on my course but i've always seen uni as a place i can re-invent myself however im not so sure the past 20 years of shaping me are going to let me change into who i want to be so easily.

Anyone have experiences fitting in, changing themselves, that type of stuff they can share? I'm not here looking for an answer, just experiences of others tha may have once thought the same things.

Regards
    Hello,

I had a similar fear when starting university. To be honest, the majority have the fear that they won't fit in when they start university. However, I need to tell you that university is not about reinventing yourself or changing yourself, it's about finding yourself and who you really are and just being that person.

When I first started my course everybody had a bigger history and experience with the background of the subject and I felt this put me right at the bottom of the group and everyone bragged about their gap years here, there and everywhere across the globe and I've never been out the country so I felt crap.

However, once I got to university I had a coffee with the lecuterer before I started and she put my mind at rest because everybody starts at the same level and also, I did really well and did better than some of these people with the better history. I learned that I fitted in quite well with a certain group because as you do in life, you just find people who you click with. It wasn't about these big things, just funny little stories and life experiences go a long way and you have to remember that. You shouldn't compare yourself to what other people have done, what's important is how much you respect your life and what you've done, remember that.

You'll get to university and just click with a group, people like you and what not. You have to remember that when going to university, everybody is coming from a different path, a different way of life and a different up bringing. Everybody has different stories and experiences and that's what university is about, bringing all these people together.

It's hard to make you understand but once you get to university, everything will just fall together naturually and you'll understand what I'm saying.

Best of luck

I'm worried about this too as I've never been good at making friends partially because I am a boring person with no hobbies, no interesting stories or anything really. I don't know much about the subject i'm doing either so don't worry, other people may feel the same. I think the honest answer is that you will find people you gel with so just try to be comfortable with yourself and hopefully you'll find a crew of friends.

OP here - Thank you for the responses.

I'm sure there will be a group i'm going to fit in with and click with.

Shawn you're right about not having to do everything before i get to uni, i think after having heard of all the adventures people have had, my few experiences seem pale in comparison but im sure there is some stuff ive done that seems interesting to others.

Hmm, i think it might just be nerves tbh.

I posted this after just waking up, having eaten and woken up a bit i think it was just, nerves tbh. I'm sure i'll feel the same again before i head off but i'll pop on back over here and have another read.

Ty

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 12, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.