Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I've still been mulling over my AS grades as if they aren't almost a month old! I received grades that I know are below my capability of AABC, I got As in Biology and Chemistry, a B in Maths and a C in Physics. I dropped the C in Physics and I'm continuing with AAB, (the B in Maths was quite low as well, because of one unit which really brought it down). Since a young age (cheesy I know) I've wanted to apply to Oxford and being there twice showed me what a great place it was. Awesome city, with friendly people and beautiful colleges too. The course I want to do is Chemistry, which requires A*A*A and this would require may one or two resits. Do you think I can do it?? Or should I just give up hope?
    Thank you xx

(Original post by Remainresilient_)
    Hi guys, I've still been mulling over my AS grades as if they aren't almost a month old! I received grades that I know are below my capability of AABC, I got As in Biology and Chemistry, a B in Maths and a C in Physics. I dropped the C in Physics and I'm continuing with AAB, (the B in Maths was quite low as well, because of one unit which really brought it down). Since a young age (cheesy I know) I've wanted to apply to Oxford and being there twice showed me what a great place it was. Awesome city, with friendly people and beautiful colleges too. The course I want to do is Chemistry, which requires A*A*A and this would require may one or two resits. Do you think I can do it?? Or should I just give up hope?
    Thank you xx
    You could do it if you could convince your teachers to predict you the A*A*A. What were your GCSEs like? That's a big factor for admission to Oxford. I'm not sure if they have an entrance test for chemistry but, if they do, that's another big factor in securing an interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    You could do it if you could convince your teachers to predict you the A*A*A. What were your GCSEs like? That's a big factor for admission to Oxford. I'm not sure if they have an entrance test for chemistry but, if they do, that's another big factor in securing an interview.
    Hopefully my teachers can do so! haha, & my GCSEs were pretty good I think, when going to a summer school at Oxford, I learned the grades at GCSE need to be 70% A*s. It's going to take so much work, but hopefully it will pay off!!! Thanks for your help

Hopefully my teachers can do so! haha, & my GCSEs were pretty good I think, when going to a summer school at Oxford, I learned the grades at GCSE need to be 70% A*s. It's going to take so much work, but hopefully it will pay off!!! Thanks for your help
    They actually said that you need 70 percent A*s at GCSE? Hmm, that's new. Usually they're very vague about it and say things like 'there's only one guarantee in the Oxford admissions process - if you don't apply, you won't get in!' It's strange really because I saw this Q&A series that the access reps from St. Peter's College did and they said that the 70 percent thing is a myth. Who knows really...

You're welcome.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thank you xx
    I don't know to what extent the Chemistry department prioritises your AS grades but I'd imagine that the biggest emphasis would be on your interview performance. As long as you're predicted A*A*A and you do really well at interview then I think you could still be in for a chance. The biggest obstacle, I'd have thought, would be the B in Maths so they're probably going to want to test you on that at interview.

Who said your GCSEs need to be 70% A*s? I have never heard anybody say that outside Medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    I don't know to what extent the Chemistry department prioritises your AS grades but I'd imagine that the biggest emphasis would be on your interview performance. As long as you're predicted A*A*A and you do really well at interview then I think you could still be in for a chance. The biggest obstacle, I'd have thought, would be the B in Maths so they're probably going to want to test you on that at interview.

Who said your GCSEs need to be 70% A*s? I have never heard anybody say that outside Medicine.
    I hear for pretty much most courses, that your AS grades aren't looked at mostly GCSEs and predicted grades so I'm guessing it would be the same for chemistry. The B in Maths I know was below what I am capable of, it was my exam technique during that unit exam that let me down! I hope all can be resolved this year haha!
    Thanks for the help, I appreciate it a lot!

ReputationRep:
    x
    You do need to be reasonably good at maths to get through the Oxford chemistry course. There's a separate maths paper in first year and the first year physical chemistry paper has a fair bit of maths and physics on it. I don't mean to discourage you from applying but it is something that you should consider.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I understand! For most chemistry courses at Russell group, they require maths as well & to be at least an A at that. I've definitely considered that aspect when deciding if I want to pursue a chemistry degree and because maths is one of my favourite subjects, it would be much less of a mission to really work hard in A2 and pull the grade up! Thank you for your contribution, I will definitely take that into account

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I also got the same AS results as you, but my A's were French and Spanish, B maths and C in history (dropped history). I've always been set on Cambridge to do law, but Oxford has lower grade boundaries so I've done a last minute switch haha. I got 5a* 8as and a c at GCSEs, and I'm predicted either a*aa or a*a*a next year. Would really appreciate some honest thoughts on whether Oxford would accept me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJaneH)
    Hi, I also got the same AS results as you, but my A's were French and Spanish, B maths and C in history (dropped history). I've always been set on Cambridge to do law, but Oxford has lower grade boundaries so I've done a last minute switch haha. I got 5a* 8as and a c at GCSEs, and I'm predicted either a*aa or a*a*a next year. Would really appreciate some honest thoughts on whether Oxford would accept me

Hey, well done on your results! I think you stand a chance with your predicted grades being so high, I mean there are so many things for Oxford to take into account; interview, predicted grades, GCSEs etc. Definitely apply! The only thing that perhaps may hinder you is your GCSE results, but as I said before there are other factors that Oxford take into consideration. Which are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, well done on your results! I think you stand a chance with your predicted grades being so high, I mean there are so many things for Oxford to take into account; interview, predicted grades, GCSEs etc. Definitely apply! The only thing that perhaps may hinder you is your GCSE results, but as I said before there are other factors that Oxford take into consideration. Which are you applying for?
    Thanks! I'm definitely going for law, but I'm not sure whether to do straight English law or English with French/Spanish law. As for colleges I'm not really sure, maybe magdalen or new?? I'm going to the open day on Friday now so hopefully I'll decide then haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJaneH)
    Thanks! I'm definitely going for law, but I'm not sure whether to do straight English law or English with French/Spanish law. As for colleges I'm not really sure, maybe magdalen or new?? I'm going to the open day on Friday now so hopefully I'll decide then haha
    English Law with another language sounds really good! Does that include a year abroad as well? And I went to a summer school at Oxford & visited New College, it is so nice there! It's quite a big college and the greenery is astounding. I hear Magdalen is quite nice too although I haven't been there. Have you been to Oxford before or will Friday be your first time?

ReputationRep:
    English Law with another language sounds really good! Does that include a year abroad as well? And I went to a summer school at Oxford & visited New College, it is so nice there! It's quite a big college and the greenery is astounding. I hear Magdalen is quite nice too although I haven't been there. Have you been to Oxford before or will Friday be your first time?
    Yeah it would be 3rd year in either France or Spain just a bit scary that part of my degree would be judged entirely on my language abilities. And yeah that's what made me look at new college, think I definitely prefer the larger colleges. Nope, never been before, ever since I was 7 I was set on trinity college Cambridge, but they need a*aa compared to oxford's AAA. Such a last minute decision

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.