The Student Room Group

Text Book VS Revision Guides

Hello, I am just starting my A Level Biology with AQA and am unsure on what a 'text book' actually is compared to a revision guide. Could someone first tell me if this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Biology-Level-Second-Student-Book/dp/0198351771/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442060232&sr=8-1&keywords=a+level+biology+aqa

is the text book for the course, meaning the main book by the exam board with everything included as I'm confused.

Anyway apart from that for people that have studied A Levels, what do you think is more effective and why. Text Book (Student Book) or Revision Guides by third parties.

Thanks!
Original post by devilrhino
Hello, I am just starting my A Level Biology with AQA and am unsure on what a 'text book' actually is compared to a revision guide. Could someone first tell me if this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Biology-Level-Second-Student-Book/dp/0198351771/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442060232&sr=8-1&keywords=a+level+biology+aqa

is the text book for the course, meaning the main book by the exam board with everything included as I'm confused.

Anyway apart from that for people that have studied A Levels, what do you think is more effective and why. Text Book (Student Book) or Revision Guides by third parties.

Thanks!

Yes that's your textbook - I think your school/college will give you that though so I wouldn't bother ordering it unless you know that your teachers won't give it to you.
If you want a revision guide, I recommend CGP.
I'd use both together - your textbook will include all of the things on your specification with extra information to get you interested and to get you "reading around the subject". The revision guide will have most if not all of the specification points but the notes will be really concise which is helpful if you know all your stuff, but not helpful if you haven't been in class all year. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Ninjasrule
Yes that's your textbook - I think your school/college will give you that though so I wouldn't bother ordering it unless you know that your teachers won't give it to you.
If you want a revision guide, I recommend CGP.
I'd use both together - your textbook will include all of the things on your specification with extra information to get you interested and to get you "reading around the subject". The revision guide will have most if not all of the specification points but the notes will be really concise which is helpful if you know all your stuff, but not helpful if you haven't been in class all year. :smile:

Oh thanks for that as I was confused, the reason i was looking online is because my school is trying to be more advanced and have chosen to give out the text books digitally and not as a book which is annoying lol. Thanks again!

Quick Reply