Sport choices for PE A level? (AQA) Watch

T800
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello. I hope this isn't a dumb question but:

I am considering A level PE as I'm interested in the human body and its athletic abilities....the problem is I'm pretty crappy at most sports. If I'm not mistaken, the new specification from AQA for AS PE requires the assessment of a candidate's performance in one activity.

My question(s) is, what is acceptable as an activity choice? Do candidates even get a choice? I'm practically worthless at team based sports but I guess I'm good enough at powerlifting, which is a sport technically. Is it possible to use that as a choice?

As far as powerlifting goes, if I drop down to an 83kg weight class and maintain my strength, I'd be an *okay* competitive junior (167.5kg squat. 105kg bench press. 195kg deadlift, 200kg soon).

Also, does competence even matter in this case?
chrisftm
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by T800)
Hello. I hope this isn't a dumb question but:

I am considering A level PE as I'm interested in the human body and its athletic abilities....the problem is I'm pretty crappy at most sports. If I'm not mistaken, the new specification from AQA for AS PE requires the assessment of a candidate's performance in one activity.

My question(s) is, what is acceptable as an activity choice? Do candidates even get a choice? I'm practically worthless at team based sports but I guess I'm good enough at powerlifting, which is a sport technically. Is it possible to use that as a choice?

As far as powerlifting goes, if I drop down to an 83kg weight class and maintain my strength, I'd be an *okay* competitive junior (167.5kg squat. 105kg bench press. 195kg deadlift, 200kg soon).

Also, does competence even matter in this case?
While you cannot do powerlifting as such (squat,dl,bench), you can do olympic lifting(snatch+clean and jerk). These 2 lifts would have to total 179kg for full marks. Good luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (61)
15.17%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (39)
9.7%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (76)
18.91%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (59)
14.68%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (44)
10.95%
How can I be the best version of myself? (123)
30.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise