Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Over the last year or so I've started getting into photography using my iphone 4. The camera is decent but im looking for an upgrade and have no idea where to start when looking for a camera. It may be a bit hopeful, but im looking for a decent first camera for under £100. Does anyone have any experience with cameras? Or can anyone unravel all this jargon and inform me what features i should really be looking out for in a camera? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    How serious are you looking to get? If you just want something you can point at things you like and press the button, then honestly pretty much any pocket-sized digital from a decent manufacturer (Nikon, Sony, Canon, etc) is going to be much the same at your price range.

If you want to have a bit more control over your photos and start learning how to manipulate the shutter speed, aperture, ISO settings, etc, get a second hand DLSR. You should be able to pick up an old Nikon (probably something like the D70 or D80) with a basic lens for around £100. That'll give you a much better platform to learn about taking good photos on, and if you like it you can use the same lenses on newer DSLRs if you ever upgrade.

Don't worry too much about who has the most megapixels - any camera you can buy now is going to have enough, and a lot of cheap cameras cram more in by sacrificing quality anyway.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.