Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi i would need help with the following equations if possible (linear inequalities)
    1)1/2x+3/4≤8

and show that x/3+y/2=1 can be written in the form of 2x+3y=6.

Please write down how you did it because i would like to know and understand these questions in the future.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    What don't you understand, exactly? Have you done any working yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bence9912)
    Hi i would need help with the following equations if possible (linear inequalities)
    1)1/2x+3/4≤8

Please write down how you did it because i would like to know and understand these questions in the future.
    thanks
    Hi,
    Do you know how to solve normal equations, i.e. ones with the equal sign instead of inequalities?

ReputationRep:
    Yes i have but do not know if the answer is right as i have never done these questions in my life. New to it.

ReputationRep:
    yes but i do noy understand how to go about the over x part it confuses me.

ReputationRep:
    1)1/2x+3/4≤8

thanks
    Hello,

1) I will be using < as the inequality sign as on my mobile keyboard I haven't got the less than or equal to one.

1/2x+3/4<8

1/2x < 8 - (3/4)

1/2x < 29/4

4/29< 2x

x>2/29

2)

x/3 + y/2 =1

(Multiply through by 6)

2x + 3y = 6

All solutions have been updated and are now correct after my silly lack of sight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phoenixsilver)
    Hello,

1) I am assuming that on the left hand side you have 1 over 2x+3 over 4. Also, I will be using < as the inequality sign as on my mobile keyboard I haven't got the less than or equal to one.

1/2x+3/4<8

1/2x+3<32

1/32<2x+3

1/32 - 96/32<2x

-95/32<2x

-95/64 < x

Hope I interpreted OK.

2)
    x/3+y/2=1

x/3+y=2

x/2=3+y

This is where I miss the point. Simplified I get x=6 + 2y which isn't in your question!!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not only is giving full solutions frowned upon, your working and answers are also completely incorrect. If you don't understand how to do it yourself, don't reply to the thread, it just confuses people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HandmadeTurnip)
    Not only is giving full solutions frowned upon, your working and answers are also completely incorrect. If you don't understand how to do it yourself, don't reply to the thread, it just confuses people.
    How are they incorrect? The OP is vague and not in the proper TSR formula notation, I clearly explained what assumptions I'd made.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lol

ReputationRep:
    1)1/2x+3/4≤8

thanks
    So
    .5x + .75 = 8 (excuse the = sign)
    Therefore
    2x + 3 = 24

You comprehend

ReputationRep:
    How are they incorrect? The OP is vague and not in the proper TSR formula notation, I clearly explained what assumptions I'd made.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Unless the OP has written them incorrectly (which I agree is possible), I'd say the equations are fairly unambiguous. We're even told what the answer should be for the second part, which gives a pretty obvious indication as to what the starting equation is supposed to be. Getting from \frac{x}{3}+\frac{y}{2}=1 to 2x+3y=6 only requires a single step.

ReputationRep:
    Unless the OP has written them incorrectly (which I agree is possible), I'd say the equations are fairly unambiguous. We're even told what the answer should be for the second part, which gives a pretty obvious indication as to what the starting equation is supposed to be. Getting from \frac{x}{3}+\frac{y}{2}=1 to 2x+3y=6 only requires a single step.
    Not really unambigous. I have no idea what is over what as the OP details variable over variable over variable. Brackets ought to be included to indicate which two divided variables are grouped together to be brought up to the top. I'll revise my original post to include this.

updated now, part 2 still makes no sense and I can't get to OP's answer

Wtf. I have an A* in a level maths and I can't get this?

ReputationRep:
    Not really unambigous. I have no idea what is over what as the OP details variable over variable over variable. Brackets ought to be included to indicate which two divided variables are grouped together to be brought up to the top. I'll revise my original post to include this.

updated now, part 2 still makes no sense and I can't get to OP's answer

Wtf. I have an A* in a level maths and I can't get this?
    Ok, I still think it's reasonably understandable but fair enough. I'm not sure what you're doing with either part of the question, to be honest. I would do it like this:

1/2x + 3/4 ≤ 8
    1/2x ≤ 29/4
    1 ≤ 29x/2
    2 ≤ 29x
    2/29 ≤ x

x/3 + y/2 = 1 (multiply everything by 6)
    2x + 3y = 6

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I still think it's reasonably understandable but fair enough. I'm not sure what you're doing with either part of the question, to be honest. I would do it like this:

1/2x + 3/4 ≤ 8
    1/2x ≤ 29/4
    1 ≤ 29x/2
    2 ≤ 29x
    2/29 ≤ x

2x + 3y = 6
    OH
    OH
    I AM AN IDIOT
    LOL

I was taking it as 1/(2x+3)/4 as opposed to two different fractions! I thought it was a triple fraction...

LOL, sorry for wasting your time, have updated the original post to correct!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

1/2x + 3/4 ≤ 8
    1/2x ≤ 29/4
    1 ≤ 29x/2
    2 ≤ 29x
    2/29 ≤ x

2x + 3y = 6
    thanks for the help i get what u mean

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 13, 2015

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.