Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have recently started at an FE college. I am studying AS-Level English Literature, History and Biology. I only chose three as I wasn't sure about the workload due to family problems causing extra stress. My passions are History and the sciences. I was told however that I have a week to decide whether or not I would like to take a forth AS-Level. I was thinking perhaps another science to broaden my University options.

As for career aspirations, I would like to pursue a career related to History or Biology. Does anyone know of any careers or courses that incorporate the two?

Thank you for any advice given.

ReputationRep:
    The closest degree I can think of in regard to History and Biology together is something along the lines of archaeology or palaeontology perhaps. If you want to do a degree like that then another science (or maths) would be useful for some universities (either chemistry or maths would be ideal in my opinion). I did 4 subjects, including chemistry and maths and I found it ok, but if you feel family problems may prevent you from focusing enough energy on studying, three as's might be a better option (just do what the uni's require basically, no need to show off ).

With that in mind, do you really want/need to do English? Doing a science/maths a level instead would put you in a better place for some degrees (I guess it depends on how much of a scientific slant the degree you want to do has, so I'd try and nail down the degree you want to do first and what is required for it ).
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Woo I did those exact subjects at A2 and I'm now going into my second year of a Biological Sciences and History degree! you could consider doing something similar if you love both, however there are only a couple of universities that offer this (Liverpool, Exeter etc). But as above, archaeology based degrees could be something to consider. I originally applied for biological anthropology/bioarchaeology degrees as they incorporate the two, more so ancient history though. You don't really need to do a fourth AS unless you want to apply to universities like UCL who ask for a fourth AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.