synoptic evaluation- debates in aqa a psychology A2

Watch
laiqah_98
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm having difficulties in evaluating studies as i don't understand what reductionism, free will vs determinism and nature vs nurture are. Or how to use them, my teacher tried explaining it to me but i still am lost. Please any help would be appreciated thanks.
DeadEnd_96
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The Nature vs Nurture argument basically means whether our abilities, strengths and characteristics are determined by our genes which we inherited from our parents OR does our experiences in life (social and physical) and the environment shape up our characteristics and personality. An example would be whether intelligence depends on genetics or upbringing. Some would argue that children inherit the gene for intelligence from their parents which causes them to become very clever. However, others would argue that intelligence depends on the what kind of family background they came from, such as having hardworking parents who also encouraged their children to become hardworking as well.

The freewill and determinism debate is whether behaviour is caused by internal and external forces that we have no control over OR humans have a the choice to do whatever they want and the choices they make is not influenced by their environment. An example is that people argue that children who have been raised by violent and aggressive parents will grow up to become violent as well possibly commit crimes. Some may say that children who are raised like this will have no choice but to resemble the same behaviour that they learnt from their parents, and they are ought to do bad things (deterministic). Others might say children who have been raised by aggressive parents have a choice in life to make things right in their life and they are not doomed to become bad people. Their experiences in their childhood will have no effect on the choices they make later on in life (Freewill). I hope this helps, feel free to ask any questions you may have. Good Luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (104)
5.14%
Uncertainty around my education (304)
15.01%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (215)
10.62%
Lack of purpose or motivation (282)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (91)
4.49%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (114)
5.63%
Loneliness (175)
8.64%
Financial worries (74)
3.65%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (89)
4.4%
Exposure to negative news/social media (96)
4.74%
Lack of real life entertainment (111)
5.48%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (179)
8.84%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (191)
9.43%

Watched Threads