Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically I've suffered mental health difficulties, depression & anxiety, for as long as i can remember but in 2013 2 months into my 2nd year at uni I had a severe breakdown and finally sought medical help for the first time. I tried different drugs and started counselling. It was a difficult year and i failed all my module due to this. There for last year 2014/15 I re sat my 2nd year. At the time i thought I was 'better' enough to cope this time, when i wasn't really. Starting again with a new set of people through me way more than i expected and my panic attacks got worse too. I didn't get any help soon enough and then it continued to get worse. By the 2 semester back in jan I physically couldn't go into uni at all, I got too bad to leave my room and visit my counsellor too.

I've failed by even more than the first time.

In hindsight, i wish I'd taken a break in study for a year so my illness was in a more manageable place.

So basically I've failed 2nd year twice now.

I was wondering if anyone knew if i had any possibilities to continue studying?

I know most universites will only let you resit a year once. I didn't know if anyone knew if illness would be taken into account over this?

Or if switching courses or even uni's is possible? Or easy to do if so.

I really really want my degree, the worst thing is when I'm well I LOVE my course & I am good at it, (I mean I'm not failing because i'm not academically capable) (please don't take that big headed-ly!! )!

I do a maths degree and I want to become a secondary school maths teacher.

Without a degree i can't do this.

I don't want my dream to be over

any help is much appreciated!

Also I do have a meeting with my support officer on monday but would love some personal advice/experiences.

xx.

ReputationRep:
    Basically you have to get your mental health under control before you apply for another course. Take as long a break as you want, only apply for uni again when you're ready.

Plus it's not like you have to be a teacher by a certain age - I believe it is easier to teach a class if you are older. I used to be taught by a teacher who didn't get into uni until she was 30.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed with the above. You'll be wasting time and energy going back if you've not sorted out your issues and got yourself to a point where you know you can finish all 3/4 years of your degree. You have more time than you think, you don't have to have your degree by a certain age, you just need to have it before applying for the job.

ReputationRep:
    I think age/ time was what made me rush into retaking straight away last year as I'm 25!
    I feel I'm have got my illness 'under control' more now, I've been on the same medication for over 6 months now and no relapses so far.
    I've also met with the uni's disabled support office who have created a learning contract for me (so informs my lecturers, make getting extensions easier etc) and filled out a DSA with me etc.
    my meeting went well and I'm currently discussing with course leaders about transferring to another course.

For my first choice I was turned down & I think I was due to my MH & I also think my former tutor (I think he believed my MH was an excuse for laziness/non commitment). I know that doesn't sound very 'healthy' but it hasn't set me back like it would've before, I've excepted it.

I'm currently discussing my other choice so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

However not getting that either is a scary thought as I have no idea what to do next !

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 16, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.