The Student Room Group

My teacher predicted me an A* but my friend said I should change it to an A

Basically in Biology I was predicted an A*, I was of course happy but then some people told me that if I dont get this A* I will not get into university even though the course entry requirements are ABB. I want to apply for Aston, but I've heard when they give your conditional offer they change the entry requirements based on your predicted grades and other factor, so my offer could change to A*AA. So im scared that if I get offers from uni's with low entry requirements they may increase the requirements just because I have high predicted grades.

So my question is shall I ask for lower predicted grades?
They're talking *******s. Don't listen to them at ALL.

Their standard offer does not change. They might increase it for students who got LOW results in their AS to encourage them to work harder but they won't make you a higher offer because you did well.
Reply 2
Original post by High Stakes
They're talking *******s. Don't listen to them at ALL.

Their standard offer does not change. They might increase it for students who got LOW results in their AS to encourage them to work harder but they won't make you a higher offer because you did well.

Tanx very much!
Original post by HenryKenry
Tanx very much!

No worries. Seriously though in the future, don't let other students tell you what to do with things that will impact your life dramatically. Always take the time to research every decision you make and think of it reasonably. Why would universities want to deter high achieving people by making it more difficult for them to get in? :smile:
Reply 4
No worries. Seriously though in the future, don't let other students tell you what to do with things that will impact your life dramatically. Always take the time to research every decision you make and think of it reasonably. Why would universities want to deter high achieving people by making it more difficult for them to get in? :smile:

Thats very true, my predicted grades stand at A*AB, the requirements are ABB, I should get an offer shoudnt I? Im going to try and push the B to an A because I was only 4 marks off the A at AS level for that subject.

Tanx again for your wise words.
Thats very true, my predicted grades stand at A*AB, the requirements are ABB, I should get an offer shoudnt I? Im going to try and push the B to an A because I was only 4 marks off the A at AS level for that subject.

Tanx again for your wise words.

You won't have any problem getting in. Get a well written personal statement and a complimenting reference and you'll be fine.
Reply 6
You won't have any problem getting in. Get a well written personal statement and a complimenting reference and you'll be fine.

Sorry I keep asking questions- the only concern I have is with my subjects basically I want to study Audiology, Aston want at least one science subject, Biology preferred. I have Biology, History and Sociology- do you think having just one science will give me a lesser chance?
Sorry I keep asking questions- the only concern I have is with my subjects basically I want to study Audiology, Aston want at least one science subject, Biology preferred. I have Biology, History and Sociology- do you think having just one science will give me a lesser chance?

No.
Reply 8
No.

You sound very sure ahaha
You sound very sure ahaha

Let me put it this way. You're predicted A*AB.

If someone else applied and met the criteria bang on ABB and had Biology, Chemistry & Sociology. (just an example).

You'll still be weighed above them. They won't change their criterion. If they've specified they want more than one or that it would make a person more competitive then sure.

The only case where there may be discussion is if the person did another well respected subject. You do Biology and History which are both considered strong but sociology not so much - If someone had a strong subject in its place, then maybe. But I'll assure you right now, with your predicted grades you'll have a very high chance of getting onto that course.

Quick Reply

Latest