Turn on thread page Beta

How can transgender Caitlyn be a Republican? watch

ReputationRep:
    Seeing how the party seems hostile/ignorant of issues affecting the LGBT community,why would she support the Republican party ?
    Can someone like here really be seen as a spokesperson for the LGBT community ?

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered that she might not want to be a spokesperson for the community?

ReputationRep:
    She is an idiot. I really cannot comprehend how anyone can support a party that is actively against who you are as a person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    Have you considered that she might not want to be a spokesperson for the community?
    Yes but due to the fact when she transitioned,she got a cover photo,a tv reality show,and alot more people began to take notice of issues affecting the transgender community,doesnt that sort of makes her a de facto spokeswoman ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Yes but due to the fact when she transitioned,she got a cover photo,a tv reality show,and alot more people began to take notice of issues affecting the transgender community,doesnt that sort of makes her a de facto spokeswoman ?
    Not necessarily. It means people want her to be a spokesperson, mainly because she's very much in the public eye. She'd be a good person (disregarding potentially her political views and the fact she killed someone) to campaign for transgender rights because of being a public figure, but she may not want this role forced upon her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drowzee)
    She is an idiot. I really cannot comprehend how anyone can support a party that is actively against who you are as a person.
    I cant rep you again .I dont get it either .It seems to me like she betrayed the transgender community in a way.I feel her wealth has cushioned her from the realities of most transgender people.

It shocking she supports the a party who policies means alot of transgender people are unable to get reassignment surgeries.Its like George Orwell animal farm with pigs betraying their animal comrades.

But then of course,she is a Kardashian.Perhaps we were expecting too much of her ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    I cant rep you again .I dont get it either .It seems to me like she betrayed the transgender community in a way.I feel her wealth has cushioned her from the realities of most transgender people.

It shocking she supports the a party who policies means alot of transgender people are unable to get reassignment surgeries.Its like George Orwell animal farm with pigs betraying their animal comrades.

But then of course,she is a Kardashian.Perhaps we were expecting too much of her ?
    She is incredibly ignorant. Her wealth has clearly caused her to become sheltered from real world problems and clearly is a Republican because she wants to keep her wealth; she doesn't care about LGBT issues since she is privileged herself, she is praised while her other LGBT counterparts still struggle irl. Like you said, I don't think we should expect much from her, but surely she should know even the very basics?

ReputationRep:
    The republicans aren't a single issue party, no matter how much media in both the US and the UK make it appear so. Just because one facet of the party may disagree with something you think, doesn't mean it negates the rest of your beliefs.

The knee-jerk reaction from people here who don't understand that and so choose to abuse people is shocking and juvenile.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Drewski)
    The republicans aren't a single issue party, no matter how much media in both the US and the UK make it appear so. Just because one facet of the party may disagree with something you think, doesn't mean it negates the rest of your beliefs.

The knee-jerk reaction from people here who don't understand that and so choose to abuse people is shocking and juvenile.
    Perhaps, but I'd have thought her sexual identity was a pretty important issue to her. But then again, she made anti-gay marriage remarks recently, so it's not entirely surprising she's a Republican; it's just a bit strange given their often bigoted conservatism that you'd have thought goes against everything a transgender stands for.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps their view (reaching here, I admit) is that she's 'one of the good ones'?

ReputationRep:
    She might be LGBT but that doesn't mean she's not greedy and rich like the rest of the republicans.

ReputationRep:
    Because it's more important to choose the party that protects your financial interests as opposed to your personal beliefs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reluire)
    Perhaps, but I'd have thought her sexual identity was a pretty important issue to her. But then again, she made anti-gay marriage remarks recently, so it's not entirely surprising she's a Republican; it's just a bit strange given their often bigoted conservatism that you'd have thought goes against everything a transgender stands for.
    That's an assumption on your part.

Who are we to decide what she should value most from the political parties?

ReputationRep:
    Because being a member of a marginalised group doesn't automatically make you a good person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Seeing how the party seems hostile/ignorant of issues affecting the LGBT community,why would she support the Republican party ?
    Can someone like here really be seen as a spokesperson for the LGBT community ?
    She's smart enough to know that identity politics is for stupid people, maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drowzee)
    Until he has his penis cut off and a hole dug for a vagina, please refrain from using the feminine pronoun.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.