Turn on thread page Beta

What extracurriculars look great on a CV or personal statement? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for a few ideas, because I'll be applying to university next year and I'd like to have something interesting to say on my personal statement.

Any ideas for very general extracurriculars would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I've got rowing
    so

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    -Experience at work.
    -Languages.
    -Instruments.
    -Competitive sports.
    Etc.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Maria G Agnesi)
    I'm looking for a few ideas, because I'll be applying to university next year and I'd like to have something interesting to say on my personal statement.

Anything subject-related is going to look the best, i.e. any evidence that you've gone beyond the curriculum to extend your interest in the subject that you're applying for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maria G Agnesi)

Those which you actually do for enjoyment and haven't just taken up because you think it looks good, and most importantly, those which have some relevance to the course you are applying for or you'll be wasting characters.

ReputationRep:
    Anything. All you have to do is find a way that your skills, experiences or hobbies etc can link to skills you will need in your chosen field. Or general skills needed to get through University.

For example. I applied for Politics. I explained it had taken me 20 years to learn the purl stitch in knitting....demonstrating how determined I was

Hopefully I wasn't given offers purely on the basis of the knitting reference. But just to show you how you can link seemingly random things to make them relevant to study.

ReputationRep:
    Voluntary work is definitely up there; it shows employers that you are willing to work and gain experience without pay, and that you have taken the time to contribute to a noble cause or service which gives you vital skills and more often than not, allows you to gain experience within a specific area or your area of interest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    As long as it shows off that you are an inquisitive person, then I'd say it's great. Any clubs you're part of, any committee you may be in, any commitments (volunteering or a job) that you do...they all show skills that people are looking for. Just make sure you link these activities to a skill and explain it briefly I'd say

ReputationRep:
    Relevant work.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.