Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How does Shakespeare present Macbeth as a hero in Act 1 Scene 2?
    I need to include:
    -his actions in battle
    -how others talk about him
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tree416)
    I need to include:
    -his actions in battle
    Thanks
    Hey tree416,

I'm not an expert on this kind of stuff, but I'll give you a list of tips on how to get the top grades(A*/A):

Read, understand and respond to texts. Students should be able to:

-Maintain a critical style and develop an informed personal response.

-Use textual references, includingquotations, to support and illustrate interpretations.

-Analyse the language, for and structure used by a writer to create meanings and effects, using relevant subject terminology where appropriate.

-Show understand of the relationships between texts and contexts in which they were written.

-Use a range of vocabulary and sentence structures for clarity, purpose and effect, with accurate spelling and punctuation.In relation to a range of texts, to achieve grade 8(new equivalent of A*), candidates will be able to:

-sustain a convincing, informed personal response to explicit and implicit meanings of texts(use your opinion!)

-sustain a perceptive critical analysis of the ways in which writers use language, form and structure (identify and comment on structure and language)

-use judicious and well-integrated (embedded quotes) textual references to develop personal responses(opinion! again!)

-show perceptive understanding of how contexts shape texts and responses to texts(social, historical, cultural context - relate texts to the time of 'Macbeth')

-Make illuminating comparisons between texts(for e.g. between 'Macbeth' and 'An Inspector Calls')

Hope I helped, thanks,

Me (year 10)

P.S. Pay close attention to the bolded words and phrases.

P.S.S Good luck in your GCSEs!

ReputationRep:
    i cant help much on the structure but pay attention to words used to describe him like "brave" "noble" and for his actions in battle things like "cut him from the nave to th chops" (cant remember the exact quote sorry!) all these portray macbeth as a brave strong war hero there are plenty of examples, just read through it and note down/highlight all the examples you see!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by citydeer)
    i cant help much on the structure but pay attention to words used to describe him like "brave" "noble" and for his actions in battle things like "cut him from the nave to th chops" (cant remember the exact quote sorry!) all these portray macbeth as a brave strong war hero there are plenty of examples, just read through it and note down/highlight all the examples you see!
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tree416)
    I need to include:
    -his actions in battle
    Thanks
    Act 1 Scene 2 is one of the least read and studied scenes in the play.That scene is all about Macbeth's bravery and character. As the question points out it is imperative to contrast what MacBeth does with the reactions of others - especially Duncan.What Macbeth is described as having done is quite unbelievable. As the soldier suggests and Duncan implies - Macbeth should have failed. Note that Macbeth is swimming against the tide here. Others in Scotland are trying to topple Duncan - possibly even kill him. The fact that they do not succeed is solely due to Macbeth and Macbeth alone.Below is a couple of pages from a support note I am creating. Hopefully it should help you.

There is a point of considerable significance in this scene. In this scene Macbeth - who may also have misgivings about Duncan's Kingship - lays that aside to fight for his King. Note - aside from Duncan's own army - no one else fights for him. However later in the play MacBeth assassinates Duncan. Act 1 scene 3 to Act 2 scene 2 tells the story of how that contradiction comes about. Some have suggested that MacBeth is ambitious to be King. That is far too simple a reading. The story of defender of the King to murderer of the King is a far more complex story.

Link to file:-
    https://www.transferbigfiles.com/fc4...0agRTmtcVfzMw2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesg2)
    Act 1 Scene 2 is one of the least read and studied scenes in the play.That scene is all about Macbeth's bravery and character. As the question points out it is imperative to contrast what MacBeth does with the reactions of others - especially Duncan.What Macbeth is described as having done is quite unbelievable. As the soldier suggests and Duncan implies - Macbeth should have failed. Note that Macbeth is swimming against the tide here. Others in Scotland are trying to topple Duncan - possibly even kill him. The fact that they do not succeed is solely due to Macbeth and Macbeth alone.Below is a couple of pages from a support note I am creating. Hopefully it should help you.

There is a point of considerable significance in this scene. In this scene Macbeth - who may also have misgivings about Duncan's Kingship - lays that aside to fight for his King. Note - aside from Duncan's own army - no one else fights for him. However later in the play MacBeth assassinates Duncan. Act 1 scene 3 to Act 2 scene 2 tells the story of how that contradiction comes about. Some have suggested that MacBeth is ambitious to be King. That is far too simple a reading. The story of defender of the King to murderer of the King is a far more complex story.

Link to file:-
    https://www.transferbigfiles.com/fc4...0agRTmtcVfzMw2
    True dat

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.