Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    is it better than working in a supermarket?

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on you. I work at Primark and have a friend that works in a supermarket. You might need to think about what kind of things you want to do. In a supermarket, you might do heavy lifting, stocking things up etc. Where as in Primark, its quite chilled, we do obviously do stock refills but really they're not that different to each other.

You'll enjoy Fashion Retail if your into clothes.

ReputationRep:
    Yes although you'll probably have less to do at times making time drag on.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the company and the location. Most high-street retailers consists of chill work, but during peak times it can get hectic. Working somewhere like Oxford Street you're always going to be running around for replenishment, assisting customers, tidying the store, etc... I work at Zara and sometimes it's quiet, but sometimes I don't have enough time to breath for 8 hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gurses)
    It depends on the company and the location. Most high-street retailers consists of chill work, but during peak times it can get hectic. Working somewhere like Oxford Street you're always going to be running around for replenishment, assisting customers, tidying the store, etc... I work at Zara and sometimes it's quiet, but sometimes I don't have enough time to breath for 8 hours.
    Do you have an 8 hour shift? I wouldn't mind having that chilled atmosphere, depends what you're allowed to do. Can't you use your phone or read some books when the store isn't too busy?

I currently work in a supermarket and I do like it but it's always busy and I was thinking that fashion retail may be better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SheLikeTheMango)
    Do you have an 8 hour shift? I wouldn't mind having that chilled atmosphere, depends what you're allowed to do. Can't you use your phone or read some books when the store isn't too busy?

I currently work in a supermarket and I do like it but it's always busy and I was thinking that fashion retail may be better.
    You won't be allowed to use your phone or read a book wherever you work on the shop floor. Only on your breaks...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SheLikeTheMango)

8 hour is a full shift, so you'll have a one hour unpaid lunch within the 8 hours, so the full "shift" is actually 9 hours long. You're legally entitled to a 20 minute break every 6 hours, which is paid for (the break is within the 8 hours).

At Zara we're not allowed any personal belongings at all while on the shop floor, the only thing you're allowed is a watch (for obvious reasons). You can't bring anything else, mostly because of security reasons, as well as due to the fact that customers lose personal belongings such as phones, so if you have nothing on you, you can't claim that the phone is yours and that you had it on you (if you were to find a lost property).

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.