Turn on thread page Beta

The Tories Will Cost Themselves 2020 watch

ReputationRep:
    It is my belief that the Tories will be their own undoing and will cost themselves the 2020 election. They will also give Labour, under Corbyn's leadership, a perfect platform to attack from. The reasons for this are below.

1) What leader can they bring in with true charisma?
    2) After more years of austerity, people will be wanting change.
    3) There is likely to be another crash dispelling the myth Labour caused the last
    4) The Tories are getting complacent and many will simply take a win for granted

On top of this, I also believe that a deal of a devolution pact between Labour, the SNP and Plaid Cymru could be enough to pursue a coalition government in 2020.

This deal may also include the Lib Dems who may wish to ask for concessions on some policy from Labour as opposed to entering a possible coalition again with the Tories.

I think today has been a defining moment in British politics and will alter the political landscape in the country for many decades to come.

ReputationRep:
    1) Charisma is over-rated. People care about policies far more.
    2) Osborne is ending austerity at the end of this parliament.
    3) How do you know there will 'likely be another crash'?
    4) I doubt they will get complacent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowman77)
    1) Charisma is over-rated. People care about policies far more.
    2) Osborne is ending austerity at the end of this parliament.
    3) How do you know there will 'likely be another crash'?
    4) I doubt they will get complacent.
    1) If that is true, then why are the Conservatives led by David Cameron as opposed to an actual Conservative? Oh, because charisma and PR is absolutely everything and since the televised debates its become a lot more like the American system - more about image.

2) By then, it might be too late as sentiment may already be getting on the back of the Tories. People may very well not believe Osborne and vote for an alternative instead.

3) Another crash has been predicted by a large number of economists - also, crashes are pretty predictable based on fluctuations in the market - I'll be extremely surprised if there isn't a crash within the next 2 years.

4) Only time will tell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr JB)
    It is my belief that the Tories will be their own undoing and will cost themselves the 2020 election. They will also give Labour, under Corbyn's leadership, a perfect platform to attack from. The reasons for this are below.

1) What leader can they bring in with true charisma?
    2) After more years of austerity, people will be wanting change.
    3) There is likely to be another crash dispelling the myth Labour caused the last
    4) The Tories are getting complacent and many will simply take a win for granted

On top of this, I also believe that a deal of a devolution pact between Labour, the SNP and Plaid Cymru could be enough to pursue a coalition government in 2020.

This deal may also include the Lib Dems who may wish to ask for concessions on some policy from Labour as opposed to entering a possible coalition again with the Tories.

I think today has been a defining moment in British politics and will alter the political landscape in the country for many decades to come.
    Neither Cameron or Sturgeon are charismatic, their success in keeping an audience comes from being clear and well presented by their PR teams. Corbyn is certainly not somebody i consider to be incredibly charismatic, he gets an audience because he preaches to the converted (or has so far). Granted the Tories must elect somebody who's at least no worse in this department.

Unlikely. It is my opinion that after more than 4 years of austerity people had already made up their mind. Your also assuming the Tories won't meet their 2019 target.

Bit of a hopecast considering you don't know whether it will be in 1 or 10 years.

I agree that is a danger. I also agree that a nationalist pact of those on the left who wish to destroy the UK is a danger should the Tories not achieve a net swing to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Neither Cameron or Sturgeon are charismatic, their success in keeping an audience comes from being clear and well presented by their PR teams. Corbyn is certainly not somebody i consider to be incredibly charismatic, he gets an audience because he preaches to the converted (or has so far). Granted the Tories must elect somebody who's at least no worse in this department.

Unlikely. It is my opinion that after more than 4 years of austerity people had already made up their mind. Your also assuming the Tories won't meet their 2019 target.

Bit of a hopecast considering you don't know whether it will be in 1 or 10 years.

I agree that is a danger. I also agree that a nationalist pact of those on the left who wish to destroy the UK is a danger should the Tories not achieve a net swing to them.
    Language such as 'destroy the UK' is loaded, biased and unhelpful.

I can't see Osbourne having the same appeal Cameron does. Cameron has a softer, warmer side (or rather is percieved to) - Osbourne seems a lot more cold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Language such as 'destroy the UK' is loaded, biased and unhelpful.

I can't see Osbourne having the same appeal Cameron does. Cameron has a softer, warmer side (or rather is percieved to) - Osbourne seems a lot more cold.
    You don't consider the UK becoming just England to be Destroying the UK'.

I agree. I think he'll have kudos on the economy and is good in policy (he actually pushed gay marriage for example) but he's not as well spoken and I'm not sure he's as intelligent (remember when Miliband said he was more intellectual and polls said the public thought Cameron was). Osbourne's strength (though I'm not backing him for the leadership right now) is that he appears to have a strategy that goes beyond the shires. Not many Tories actually try to turn the cities blue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    You don't consider the UK becoming just England to be Destroying the UK'.

I agree. I think he'll have kudos on the economy and is good in policy (he actually pushed gay marriage for example) but he's not as well spoken and I'm not sure he's as intelligent (remember when Miliband said he was more intellectual and polls said the public thought Cameron was). Osbourne's strength (though I'm not backing him for the leadership right now) is that he appears to have a strategy that goes beyond the shires. Not many Tories actually try to turn the cities blue.
    'Destroy' is a loaded word. And it paints people as good or bad and it negates to look at the reasons why they feel they want independence. Often they have legitimate reasons.

You're right, Osbourne seems pretty cold although he's a very good strategist and not as fake as Cameron (eg forgetting which football team he pretends to support). Although I still have no idea what his 'northern powerhouse' idea means and i've certainly not seen any of it.

Osbourne v Corbyn will be interesting.

I still think it's way too early to make any predictions and if Corbyn can get some moderates in his cabinet by then, he'll have a chance. Polls do show the public support quite a lot of his policies.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.