Turn on thread page Beta

Disappointing As results - mechanical engineering watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I got BCCD in my as levels, in Graphic design, maths mechanics, physics and economics. I was a little disappointed with these results as I want to study mechanical engineering at uni.

Do you think i will get any offers with these results? Are there any ways i can recover these results with a great personal statement?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_K)
    Hi all,

I got BCCD in my as levels, in Graphic design, maths mechanics, physics and economics. I was a little disappointed with these results as I want to study mechanical engineering at uni.

Do you think i will get any offers with these results? Are there any ways i can recover these results with a great personal statement?

Thanks
    How much effort did you put in? Be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhoDaresWins)
    How much effort did you put in? Be honest.
    Not as much as i should have, nor as much as i plan to this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_K)
    Not as much as i should have, nor as much as i plan to this year.
    Just do a foundation year. Loughborough uni offers a foundation year in ME, its what I did. I had CCC at A-level and now I'm at a uni that wants A*A*A for physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TunaTunnel)
    Just do a foundation year. Loughborough uni offers a foundation year in ME, its what I did. I had CCC at A-level and now I'm at a uni that wants A*A*A for physics.
    What does a foundation year mean? can you explain please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinesICB318)
    What does a foundation year mean? can you explain please
    Its year 0 of a degree. It bridges the gap between A-levels and university by first covering A-level topics and then moving on to slightly more advanced stuff that wouldnt be done at A-level all in a university environment, i.e you have lectures ect.

In essence, its an easier version of first year at university which lets you change between degree programs and try different modules.

ReputationRep:
    Entry requirements for Loughborough Uni are not A*A*A.

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergr...s-mathematics/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sourestdeeds)
    Entry requirements for Loughborough Uni are not A*A*A.

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergr...s-mathematics/
    I moved uni so I'm now at Durham, both Durham and Manchester accepted me (now both wanting A*A*A for physics).

ReputationRep:
    I moved uni so I'm now at Durham, both Durham and Manchester accepted me (now both wanting A*A*A for physics).
    That makes more sense :P

ReputationRep:
    Its year 0 of a degree. It bridges the gap between A-levels and university by first covering A-level topics and then moving on to slightly more advanced stuff that wouldnt be done at A-level all in a university environment, i.e you have lectures ect.

In essence, its an easier version of first year at university which lets you change between degree programs and try different modules.
    oooooh interesting! what universities do this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinesICB318)
    oooooh interesting! what universities do this?
    Most. Sheffield, Loughborough, Durham, Sussex, QMUL, Manchester ect. Pretty much all RG unis apart from Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Imperial and St. Andrews.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.