Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been given 2 months to retake English language at a higher level before i did foundation and got a C but i've wanted a B for GSCE for quite a while now, due to the university i've wanted to go to requiring it. Do you have any tips or suggestions to revise for English Language quickly and improve over a short period of time?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by AR679)
    I've been given 2 months to retake English language at a higher level before i did foundation and got a C but i've wanted a B for GSCE for quite a while now, due to the university i've wanted to go to requiring it. Do you have any tips or suggestions to revise for English Language quickly and improve over a short period of time?
    What exam board is it on? If it's AQA then I can give specific tips, if not then I have some more general ones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gingerbread101)
    What exam board is it on? If it's AQA then I can give specific tips, if not then I have some more general ones
    Its AQA
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by AR679)
    Its AQA
    Great!
    Firstly about the exam itself, you might want to familiarise yourself with it's format and content on the thread I made over here.

In terms of skills, it's all about your use of language techniques throughout in your controlled assessments and creative exam writing, and your ability to pick out features of a text (crossing over into literature a little bit). Make sure in your pieces, you always use techniques like metaphor, simile, complex punctuation, list of three, alliteration, personification and imagery. It's not about how good of a story you make, it's about how you construct it and your use of language. Practice writing persuasively, using these techniques and more if you can.

Do you know if you're redoing your controlled assessments too?

ReputationRep:
    Great!
    Firstly about the exam itself, you might want to familiarise yourself with it's format and content on the thread I made over here.

In terms of skills, it's all about your use of language techniques throughout in your controlled assessments and creative exam writing, and your ability to pick out features of a text (crossing over into literature a little bit). Make sure in your pieces, you always use techniques like metaphor, simile, complex punctuation, list of three, alliteration, personification and imagery. It's not about how good of a story you make, it's about how you construct it and your use of language. Practice writing persuasively, using these techniques and more if you can.

Do you know if you're redoing your controlled assessments too?
    Yes i am, but I'm doing if for the first time ever and i only have a few months to revise for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR679)
    Yes i am, but I'm doing if for the first time ever and i only have a few months to revise for them.
    I mean i am also doing the controlled assessment very soon.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by AR679)
    I wouldn't say you really need to revise for them that much- the only thing you can really do is plan it out beforehand
    You will probably have a persuasive one, in which you need to write in a structured manner, using paragraph variation and discourse variation (varying how you start each paragraph). Use all of those techniques, and make it sound as 'English-y' as possible- regardless of whether you would normally speak like that. When you get the titles and have a draft done (if you want to draft it), feel free to send it to me and I'll give you some feedback on it

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say you really need to revise for them that much- the only thing you can really do is plan it out beforehand
    You will probably have a persuasive one, in which you need to write in a structured manner, using paragraph variation and discourse variation (varying how you start each paragraph). Use all of those techniques, and make it sound as 'English-y' as possible- regardless of whether you would normally speak like that. When you get the titles and have a draft done (if you want to draft it), feel free to send it to me and I'll give you some feedback on it
    This is for English Language right?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by AR679)
    Yep- English literature is about analysing other author's work, and English language is about creating your own (broadly speaking)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR679)
    What grade did you get for English Language, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks for the notes btw.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by AR679)
    What grade did you get for English Language, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks for the notes btw.
    I got an A* in both literature and language, and full UMS in both of my coursework folders

ReputationRep:
    I got an A* in both literature and language, and full UMS in both of my coursework folders
    NICE!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by AR679)
    NICE!
    So as I said, send me anything you'd like me to look over

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same position as you too, retaking to the higher tier paper in November. I really need a B for the university course I wish to do 😫

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.