Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've seen posters advertising these and online they look really good, but has anyone been on them and can give me some advice on whether to go on them or not? Or does any one else know if they're worth it, and if universities want to see it, or particularly don't want to see it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Haven't been on either, but I've spoken about it with few people who have. It sounds like a lot of fun and won't harm your application at all, but it won't really benefit it either since they can't count such expensive courses, it wouldn't be fair on the people who can't go. A better way to spend your time would be to do more work experience but if you can afford it and want a couple of animally days that won't involve wiping tables or shovelling **** then by all means go for it

There's a section on UCAS (seperate to the PS) where you can mention any courses that you did but I really don't think it makes the slightest bit of difference Don't go for the sake of trying to look like a better applicant.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I went on vetSIM a lot of years ago. It was quite a lot of money for me at the time and in retrospect I would not have gone. I had a brilliant time overall, but I didn't learn much with regards to applying that I couldn't have learnt from TSR, asking vet students, open days and the internet in general. The mock interview I had was nothing like the 4 interviews I got when I applied and I didn't find it very constructive. You can't really mention the course in your PS because it is affiliated with one uni and is a paid experience (so it would be unfair if it gave you an advantage). It was great fun and inspiring but I think that money that I spent on the course would have had better use when paying for transport or accommodation for a placement further afield from home. If you have the money and want to go then by all means go for it. But if you are struggling with money, don't feel disadvantaged by not going!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 15, 2015
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.