Thinking about seeking help for suspected mental issues but I need advice...Watch
Ever since I was young I've always been "shy", but I have a feeling that what I have is more than just shyness. When simply walking down the road I feel as though everyone is staring at me and judging me, which makes me feel extremely anxious and leads to hot flushes, eyes watering, etc. which then makes it even worse because I feel like I look even more stupid. I feel as though I'm not really in control of my body and I need to make a conscious effort just to walk. Obviously with all of this happening on a daily basis for years I have researched anxiety disorders thoroughly and I'm positive that I have one and finally feel as though I'm ready to seek help, however I don't really know if I should just yet.
I'm a very reserved person and haven't told any of my friends or family that I have been suffering like this. Part of the reason I never seeked help was because I was under age and didn't want my parents to feel guilt if I was diagnosed and they were told about it by a doctor. If I finally build up the courage to seek help with a doctor and am turned away with no help I really wouldn't know what to do. Telling somebody about all of these emotions I have held inside of me for years is a very big deal to me. And as well as that, I only really remember having a panic attack once during a performance in a Drama lesson. Can you have an anxiety disorder without having panic attacks?
Along with the anxiety, I've also felt very depressed for years, and although I feel as though I have made progress and have it under control, the feelings are still very much there. I feel guilty knowing that there are people out there in the world starving, yet here I am feeling sad about nothing. I get suicidal thoughts almost daily, but I know that I would never go through with it, at least not now. When I was 15 or so I was at the lowest I've ever been, and the unwarranted sadness along with the sadness from bullying and life in general led me to me self harming and seriously considering suicide. I regret not seeking help then, because that was really when I needed it the most, but thankfully I'm still here.
When looking at the symptoms of depression I always see that trouble sleeping is listed, but I almost never have trouble sleeping, which again has me questioning whether I really do have depression or if it's just me feeling extremely sad. I just want to know from people who are diagnosed with depression or are knowledgeable about it as to whether or not you can be depressed without having sleeping issues.
Like I said, I'm pretty determined to finally seek help, however in 2 weeks I will be living in a new city so I don't know if I should try to get help now or wait until I move. And also, if anyone could give me any advice about seeing a doctor it would be very much appreciated. I honestly wouldn't know where to begin, what to tell them, etc.
- Feel as though I might have an anxiety disorder, however I only remember suffering from one panic attack years ago. Can you have an anxiety disorder without experiencing panic attacks?
- Feel as though I might be depressed, however I do not have sleeping issues, something which is regularly listed as a symptom. Can you be depressed without having sleeping issues?
- I'm moving to uni in 2 weeks, should I seek help now or wait until I move?
Thank you very much to anyone who helps.
- Feel as though I might have an anxiety disorder, however I only remember suffering from one panic attack years ago. Can you have an anxiety disorder without experiencing panic attacks?.
- Feel as though I might be depressed, however I do not have sleeping issues, something which is regularly listed as a symptom. Can you be depressed without having sleeping issues?.