Turn on thread page Beta

Thinking about seeking help for suspected mental issues but I need advice... watch

(TLDR/summary at bottom)

Hi,

Ever since I was young I've always been "shy", but I have a feeling that what I have is more than just shyness. When simply walking down the road I feel as though everyone is staring at me and judging me, which makes me feel extremely anxious and leads to hot flushes, eyes watering, etc. which then makes it even worse because I feel like I look even more stupid. I feel as though I'm not really in control of my body and I need to make a conscious effort just to walk. Obviously with all of this happening on a daily basis for years I have researched anxiety disorders thoroughly and I'm positive that I have one and finally feel as though I'm ready to seek help, however I don't really know if I should just yet.

I'm a very reserved person and haven't told any of my friends or family that I have been suffering like this. Part of the reason I never seeked help was because I was under age and didn't want my parents to feel guilt if I was diagnosed and they were told about it by a doctor. If I finally build up the courage to seek help with a doctor and am turned away with no help I really wouldn't know what to do. Telling somebody about all of these emotions I have held inside of me for years is a very big deal to me. And as well as that, I only really remember having a panic attack once during a performance in a Drama lesson. Can you have an anxiety disorder without having panic attacks?

Along with the anxiety, I've also felt very depressed for years, and although I feel as though I have made progress and have it under control, the feelings are still very much there. I feel guilty knowing that there are people out there in the world starving, yet here I am feeling sad about nothing. I get suicidal thoughts almost daily, but I know that I would never go through with it, at least not now. When I was 15 or so I was at the lowest I've ever been, and the unwarranted sadness along with the sadness from bullying and life in general led me to me self harming and seriously considering suicide. I regret not seeking help then, because that was really when I needed it the most, but thankfully I'm still here.

When looking at the symptoms of depression I always see that trouble sleeping is listed, but I almost never have trouble sleeping, which again has me questioning whether I really do have depression or if it's just me feeling extremely sad. I just want to know from people who are diagnosed with depression or are knowledgeable about it as to whether or not you can be depressed without having sleeping issues.

Like I said, I'm pretty determined to finally seek help, however in 2 weeks I will be living in a new city so I don't know if I should try to get help now or wait until I move. And also, if anyone could give me any advice about seeing a doctor it would be very much appreciated. I honestly wouldn't know where to begin, what to tell them, etc.

TLDR/summary:

- Feel as though I might have an anxiety disorder, however I only remember suffering from one panic attack years ago. Can you have an anxiety disorder without experiencing panic attacks?
    - Feel as though I might be depressed, however I do not have sleeping issues, something which is regularly listed as a symptom. Can you be depressed without having sleeping issues?
    - I'm moving to uni in 2 weeks, should I seek help now or wait until I move?

Thank you very much to anyone who helps.

ReputationRep:
    Do tell it to a GP. One from a practice you trust. One who knows nothing about your parents (if you don't want them to know).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    TLDR/summary:

- Feel as though I might have an anxiety disorder, however I only remember suffering from one panic attack years ago. Can you have an anxiety disorder without experiencing panic attacks?.
    There are quite a lot of different types of anxiety and it's certainly possible to experience anxiety without panic attacks. I saw a psychologist for a fair while with a diagnosis of generalized anxiety disorder and have only had 2 panic attacks in my life.

- Feel as though I might be depressed, however I do not have sleeping issues, something which is regularly listed as a symptom. Can you be depressed without having sleeping issues?.
    Absolutely. While one of the symptoms of depression is not sleeping enough, another symptom is sleeping too much! Also, it's important to remember that you don't need every symptoms to be diagnosed with depression.

- I'm moving to uni in 2 weeks, should I seek help now or wait until I move?

Thank you very much to anyone who helps.
    I would wait. A lot of GPs ask you to return in 2 weeks or whatever to check how things are going. There's also the possibility that a doctor near a university would have more experience in treating young people.

ReputationRep:
    I used to have panic attacks regularly when I was about 12 or 13 but not since then. I wasn't diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder until I was 17 and I don't think I'd ever mentioned the panic attacks because I hadn't had them for years.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 13, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.