Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Although the Corbyn saga is amusing, it is very easy for conservatives to forget that not long ago this was essentially the position the Conservative party was in when it elected a 'real, authentic' Tory in IDS, and his subsequent turning the conservatives into a laughing stock only rehabilitated under the modernising Cameron. It is my belief that history will repeat itself for labour.

I read in the spectator that a certain Owen Paterson of badger goalpost fame is putting forward a set of policies for a 'real' Tory leader- presumably something more in common with ukips election winning manifesto. Just because Corbyn is a laughing stock doesn't neccessarily mean that they'll automatically vote for a reactionary Conservative party. Even the most right wing would surely prefer a more liberal figure like Osborne in number ten than bare the increased risk of a Corbyn premiership.

The left have cast out the centre ground- let's not be so stupid. Labour have alienated a swathe of their members, let them join us or we will face a mass alliance of the left which will make a 2015 lab SNP coalition look like a summers picnic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Although the Corbyn saga is amusing, it is very easy for conservatives to forget that not long ago this was essentially the position the Conservative party was in when it elected a 'real, authentic' Tory in IDS, and his subsequent turning the conservatives into a laughing stock only rehabilitated under the modernising Cameron. It is my belief that history will repeat itself for labour.
    The Tory Party has been a formidable election winning machine that has always been able to knife losers in the back.

The exception has been the period from Britain being turfed out of the ERM until the election of Michael Howard.

It is very unlikely the Tory Party will permit that to return.

The election of Corbyn makes it much easier to get through the EU vote. Both major parties will divide on Europe and the fruit cakes and loony tunes will all be in the "no" camp without leadership given that Farage wants to plough his own furrough and it is very difficult to see the hard left and the likes of Redwood and Chope producing a coherent position together.

ReputationRep:
    How can you possibly call Osbourne centre ground? Arghhh. Why are tories allowed to push through such right wing policies and then get called 'modernizing centrists'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    How can you possibly call Osbourne centre ground? Arghhh. Why are tories allowed to push through such right wing policies and then get called 'modernizing centrists'?
    This Conservative government are more right wing then Thatcher.

The centre ground has moved so far right since 1979 and New Labour embracing the centre ground.

ReputationRep:
    Osborne is to the left of May on most issues; Boris is a wildcard and obviously anyone like Patterson or Fox are just out there. Osborne is the centrist candidate in the next Tory leadership election and that is what he is courting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Osborne is to the left of May on most issues; Boris is a wildcard and obviously anyone like Patterson or Fox are just out there. Osborne is the centrist candidate in the next Tory leadership election and that is what he is courting.
    No one is going to convince me Osbourne is anything but right wing having overseen the austerity programme he has.

ReputationRep:
    No one is going to convince me Osbourne is anything but right wing having overseen the austerity programme he has.
    By how much has Osborne cut expenditure in 5 years? Denis Healey managed 3.9% in 1976.

ReputationRep:
    If Tim Farron manages to secure the Lib Dems as a 'sensible' centre-left party I can imagine them picking up quite a few votes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    If Tim Farron manages to secure the Lib Dems as a 'sensible' centre-left party I can imagine them picking up quite a few votes.
    I can't. The last thing the Labour Party or left need to do now is split. I do however think/hope labour voters will vote lib dem in lib dem /Tory marginals.

ReputationRep:
    Corbyn isn't a joke or has silly ideas

That's just conservative propaganda

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)
    Corbyn isn't a joke or has silly ideas

That's just conservative propaganda
    Yes and a man who rebels constantly against his own party is a great leader to have. When he will raise welfare payments which will be an even larger burden on the economy which will encourage more people to stay on the dole. Scrap University fees thus some people will see it as a joke and someone who would risk the security and integrity of the nation by quitting NATO whilst staying fully committed in the EU.

ReputationRep:
    I can't. The last thing the Labour Party or left need to do now is split. I do however think/hope labour voters will vote lib dem in lib dem /Tory marginals.
    Tim Farron is a very likeable politician, and I can imagine that many might find a home in the Lib Dems. It isn't something I want, we all know what the SDP split did in '83, but it's still a possibility.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 13, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.