Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm shocked. lol.

It's the same for quite a few Asian countries due to taxes and what not. Mini cooper in India costs 40k i believe.

ReputationRep:
    Where on earth would a family car cost you £88,000?

People have long used cars as status symbols. But here in Singapore, where the current price of a new Hyundai Sante Fe is more than an Aston Martin Vantage costs in the UK (about £87,968 compared to £86,080), has the cost of showing off gone too far?
    A Hyundai, after all, is not what I would call a flashy brand of car. It’s considered an economical, reliable, ‘ordinary’ option, mainly used by families. Just imagine, if you dare, what a new Aston Martin would cost to navigate the roads of this tiny island – there are certainly a startling number of them around.
    The answer is that the most basic Aston Martin Vantage would cost the equivalent of about £308,500 (S$617,000) – far more than the average house price in most parts of the UK, outside London and the surrounding counties.
    One reason for these grossly over inflated prices is a small piece of paper you have to bid for called a Certificate of Entitlement, or COE for short (not to be confused with C of E, as in Church of England, which I kept calling it when I arrived).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/103...you-88000.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    I'm shocked. lol.

It's the same for quite a few Asian countries due to taxes and what not. Mini cooper in India costs 40k i believe.

Singapores i believe is the highest.

ReputationRep:
    I'm shocked. lol.

By the way, it's only for TEN years of ownership

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tawheed)
    Singapores i believe is the highest.
    I suppose it will be as other larger countries have their own domestic suppliers.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it will be as other larger countries have their own domestic suppliers.
    It's because singapore is in a limited space with a fast growing population. It's densely populated and there's major congestion and car prices are set to rise extortionately as time goes on.

ReputationRep:
    It's because singapore is in a limited space with a fast growing population. It's densely populated and there's major congestion and car prices are set to rise extortionately as time goes on.
    Exactly. Singapore is doing really well. Think it's the number 1 overseas location Londoners are moving to.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. Singapore is doing really well. Think it's the number 1 overseas location Londoners are moving to.
    While it's a great place for wealthy billionares and the rich, imho it actually isn't doing too well in terms of equality.

It's the most expensive city in the world for a second year running, has a very fast aging population which is a ticking time bomb, lacks political freedom , has corruption and has very high car prices, as well as house prices. Schools are very competitive to get into, there's a toxic culture for children, and not to mention mandatory service for two years , which really takes you back two years.

So great for rich xpats and singaporeans, not good for the middle class or below in my own opinion

ReputationRep:
    While it's a great place for wealthy billionares and the rich, imho it actually isn't doing too well in terms of equality.

It's the most expensive city in the world for a second year running, has a very fast aging population which is a ticking time bomb, lacks political freedom , has corruption and has very high car prices, as well as house prices. Schools are very competitive to get into, there's a toxic culture for children, and not to mention mandatory service for two years , which really takes you back two years.

So great for rich xpats and singaporeans, not good for the middle class or below in my own opinion
    I agree but from what Singapore was to what is is now is incredible. I find the debt to GDP quite worrying.

It is a rich man's paradise but most developed economies are. You wouldn't want to be poor in the US either.

ReputationRep:
    I agree but from what Singapore was to what is is now is incredible. I find the debt to GDP quite worrying.

It is a rich man's paradise but most developed economies are. You wouldn't want to be poor in the US either.
    I agree, it's transformation has been amazing, i must give it that.

But it's not somewhere i would consider living or bringing up a young family. If i were rich and in the fianance or owned a business, i would go for it though - maybe.

ReputationRep:
    Woodlands to Marina Bay. The MRT fare using ez-link costs 1.94 SGD. Make that journey and back 250 times a year and you pay 970 SGD a year. So assuming the car in the OP really does cost that much, you could have commuted between Woodlands and Marina Bay 63286 times (or for 253 years - way longer than one's lifetime) for the same amount.
    Being the small red dot Singapore is, obviously their government wants to make it economically unviable for the average citizen to own a car. Yet I see there are quite a lot of affluent citizens who own a car merely for status

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.