The Student Room Group

Physiotherapy applicants 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Thomas95r
Just received some results on my current degree which guarantee my place on the physiotherapy course at Leicester, so hit me up if you're going to study at Leicester campus (cov uni)!

I've firmed Leicester! Just got to get through my resits
Original post by martslo
That's good to hear! I've never visited, so I have no idea what the campus is like (i've seen photos of course) but I'm really looking forward to September. Do you know how many students there are in each cohort for physio?

I can assure you that the campus is very beautiful, being in the country, so I'm sure you'll love it if a natural environment suits you.

I know that they take 80 places for physiotherapy, 40 funded and 40 non funded (approx, may not be accurate), but I'm not sure what the group sizes are like. What I can tell you is that the lecturers are lovely people, very approachable and friendly when I attended the Q&A session.

I was advised to buy the "Principles of Anatomy and Physiology by Gerard J. Tortora and Bryan Derrickson, I bought the 14th edition as its the most up-to-date. I was not informed which edition to buy, but both a first year student and a lecturer advised it so that you don't have to borrow it from the library.

The student told me that she wished she had done some reading up on the muscles to avoid being overwhelmed in the first semester, and the lecturer says its worth the investment after you become a qualified practitioner. It can cost over £100-£200, but I found it for £50 so I'm sure you can get a bargain if you shop around.

Sorry for all of this text, hope it helps! :smile: I'm available to PM if you want to talk more about Keele!
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi, has anyone firmed Northumbria or MMU as safety? :smile:
Original post by FeatherOfLead
I can assure you that the campus is very beautiful, being in the country, so I'm sure you'll love it if a natural environment suits you.

I know that they take 80 places for physiotherapy, 40 funded and 40 non funded (approx, may not be accurate), but I'm not sure what the group sizes are like. What I can tell you is that the lecturers are lovely people, very approachable and friendly when I attended the Q&A session.

I was advised to buy the "Principles of Anatomy and Physiology by Gerard J. Tortora and Bryan Derrickson, I bought the 14th edition as its the most up-to-date. I was not informed which edition to buy, but both a first year student and a lecturer advised it so that you don't have to borrow it from the library.

The student told me that she wished she had done some reading up on the muscles to avoid being overwhelmed in the first semester, and the lecturer says its worth the investment after you become a qualified practitioner. It can cost over £100-£200, but I found it for £50 so I'm sure you can get a bargain if you shop around.

Sorry for all of this text, hope it helps! :smile: I'm available to PM if you want to talk more about Keele!

Thank you so much for the info! I'm an international student so it honestly helped a lot :smile:

That would be great actually, you can't PM on this website can you?
Original post by martslo
Thank you so much for the info! I'm an international student so it honestly helped a lot :smile:

That would be great actually, you can't PM on this website can you?

No problem, I understand it must be daunting coming to another country to study, especially when you'll be there for minimum of 3 years and haven't had the chance to visit.

You can PM, at the top of the page you should see an envelope. If you hover over it, there are two buttons: Inbox and Send new PM - this one enables you to message me privately by entering my username. :smile:
Reply 2605
Original post by ChloChan

MMU is my insurance :smile:
Original post by ChloChan

Can't decide between Manchester Met and Bournemouth
so i got 4 rejections and an unconditional to Robert Gordon. Anyone else headed up to aberdeen?
Anyone firmed Brunel ? 😊💪🏼
Original post by zicozz999

Yes!
Reply 2610
Original post by zicozz999

Me!
Original post by bryonyrichards
Yeh I have, and I put dehavillin first, then Telford court. Do you know how long the course is (weeks) want to make sure I've got enough time in the accommodation!

I don't have a clue, sorry! My first choice is college lane campus - premium then telford court 2nd too!
Original post by Lucytal
Finally chosen Teesside as my firm and Leeds Beckett as insurance! Has anyone else on here firmed Teesside?

Hey Lucy

I've firmed Teesside :smile: I was with you at the northumbria interview, don;t know if you remember me? xx
Original post by Zaclowton
Got an offer through today for Plymouth through Extra, effectively unconditional as I've already got my grades so I'll be going there in September!

Aww well done! genuinely happy for you :smile: after all that i bet you're relieved as well as excited to be starting in september?
Hi guys,

I'll be going to Teesside uni in September, anyone else??? would be nice to get to know you all before the course starts :smile: feeling excited and nervous at the same time!
Original post by coco.bee
Hey Lucy

I've firmed Teesside :smile: I was with you at the northumbria interview, don;t know if you remember me? xx

Hey yes I do! I'll pm you now :smile: xx
Original post by coco.bee
Aww well done! genuinely happy for you :smile: after all that i bet you're relieved as well as excited to be starting in september?

Thank you, yeah I am really relieved! Can't wait to get on with the course now
Original post by martslo
ahh ok thanks :-) have you firmed any of the unis for physio?

Yes I have firmed Southampton and insured UWE. You?
Hi,
I have been offered a place at both Brunel and St. George's but have yet to make a decision. I'm a mature student and will be living at home so my commute will be approx 1 hour to St. George's and almost 2 hours to Brunel. I'm interested to know people's thoughts on each institution and if I should tolerate the longer commute for what Brunel has to offer?
Original post by Tellis86
Hi,
I have been offered a place at both Brunel and St. George's but have yet to make a decision. I'm a mature student and will be living at home so my commute will be approx 1 hour to St. George's and almost 2 hours to Brunel. I'm interested to know people's thoughts on each institution and if I should tolerate the longer commute for what Brunel has to offer?

Hi, I'm a mature student as well, doing an access course. I was declined almost instantly by Brunel, and have an offer from St Georges, which I've firmed.

I visited both universities before applying and my initial gut reaction was much stronger for St Georges. It felt (to me) friendlier, more diverse and better suited for mature students. It also felt more focused on NHS (with the hospital attached) than Brunel, where there was a lot of discussion of sport during the open day I went to.

That being said, I'm sure there are people who had a stronger gut reaction for Brunel.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending