Turn on thread page Beta

How can a person with Type 1 diabetes get hypoglycaemia? watch

ReputationRep:
    The immune system destroys/disables beta cells which produce insulin but does not effect the alpha cells, so as a result glucagon still can be produced and increase glucose levels when they are low. Can someone explain it to me
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by ElectronDonor)
    The immune system destroys/disables beta cells which produce insulin but does not effect the alpha cells, so as a result glucagon still can be produced and increase glucose levels when they are low. Can someone explain it to me
    The most common cause is that it's a result of the exogenous insulin that they take: for example, you take your normal dose of insulin, but then end up skipping a meal because you're busy and forget.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    The most common cause is that it's a result of the exogenous insulin that they take: for example, you take your normal dose of insulin, but then end up skipping a meal because you're busy and forget.
    They say though diabetes causes the hypoglycaemia, i know also the treatment causes hypoglycaemia
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by ElectronDonor)
    They say though diabetes causes the hypoglycaemia, i know also the treatment causes hypoglycaemia
    It doesn't really. There's a certain developed insensitivity in the "protective" mechanisms, like glucagon, that keep your blood sugar up after effectively half of your islet cells not working for years and having to be corrected by exogenous drugs. For people with a functioning endocrine pancreas, when we skip meals or exercise a lot, counter-regulatory mechanisms step in to release more glucose. This is impaired in T1-DM, due to this insensitivity, and exacerbated by all the hypoglycaemic drugs you take. The effects of this are small, though, and most of the hypoglycaemic driving forces come from the drugs.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 12, 2015
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.