Turn on thread page Beta

Fitness advice/help! watch

ReputationRep:
    I'll be starting my final year at uni (with the aim of joining the RAF after) so have decided its probably a good idea to start getting fit! Now, I've had a look at some fitness programs that the raf/army offer but these seem aimed at those who already have a reasonable level of fitness, where as I don't (lets just say I'm level 0 ).

Any advice on what type of exercises I should start with? (I don't really see the point in trying to run 1.5 mile in under 11 seconds because that's a ways down the line yet)

Have I given myself enough time (12 months ish) to get fit realistically?

Thanks guys.

ReputationRep:
    hi,

Would class myself as someone who about 2/3 years back was at level 0 (17 1/2 st and no real motivation to change it, I'm now just over 13st and the majority of that was in the first 6 months, healthy eating and exercise ) but then I decided I needed to change if I wanted to join up and started exercising. You don't need 2/3 years though.

I would start going for a jog every other night and see how far you get the first 3 times and then pussh harder and harder to extend it to somewhere about 3/4miles then once you are happy you can do that, start nailing 1.5 mile runs and work on the speed aspect.
    The thing that worked massively for me (many will say why bother spending money etc, but it truely changed my fitness and general health) was Insanity, it's hard to follow the whole thing but even every other night and you will see massive differences in 1-2 months.
    Have you thought of joining the gym? Are you into sport? Do you have friends who go jogging?

Without knowing your specific level 0 I can't tell if 12 months is enough, only you know how much you want it and how hard your willing to work to join the RAF.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SLClegg)
    I don't really see the point in trying to run 1.5 mile in under 11 seconds
    Tbf, I don't think many do...

Just work on your fitness. If you're really at level 0 there's no point focusing on any one thing - you'll be needing to do everything. So get out and run. Start doing press ups a few nights a week. Same with sit ups. Work on your cardio, run, cycle, swim, etc.

At level 0 there's nothing that you could do that's wrong apart from nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kilted_sparky)
    Would class myself as someone who about 2/3 years back was at level 0 (17 1/2 st and no real motivation to change it, I'm now just over 13st and the majority of that was in the first 6 months, healthy eating and exercise ) but then I decided I needed to change if I wanted to join up and started exercising. You don't need 2/3 years.
    Nice one mate, it's comforting to know others have been in the same boat and succeeded, although I don't think my circumstances are quite as challenging as yours was, so credit where credits due!

(Original post by kilted_sparky)
    Have you thought of joining the gym? Are you into sport? Do you have friends who go jogging?.
    Just joined my local gym a couple of days ago so will hopefully start to see some improvement and I do play cricket but its not exactly the most athletic sport tbh.

(Original post by Drewski)
    Tbf, I don't think many do.
    Oops! (*minutes) I'd like to see someone try though.

(Original post by Drewski)
    Just work on your fitness. If you're really at level 0 there's no point focusing on any one thing - you'll be needing to do everything. So get out and run. Start doing press ups a few nights a week. Same with sit ups. Work on your cardio, run, cycle, swim, etc.

At level 0 there's nothing that you could do that's wrong apart from nothing.
    Cheers for the advice Drewski (definitely need to work on those push ups!). That's a good piece of advice that I'll definitely keep with me!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Get some decent trainers and look for a 'couch to 5k' app, or start going to circuit classes through uni. I bet there are other people around you who are trying to improve their fitness and places like uni have a LOT of classes / groups / facilities to help. Walk more, don't take the lift, do some pressups and situps. Doing fitness with others is highly advised for the motivational side of things.

ReputationRep:
    When I first decided to join the RAF I went out running as much as I could and got injured, so start slowly. Also just doing lots of pushups and situps is going to give you bad posture and possibly shoulder joint problems if you don't balance it out by working the back of your body, so do some rows as well.

ReputationRep:
    In the buildup to OASC (September) last year, I went all out far too often, far too quickly and injured myself, so increase little and often . 12 months is a good amount of time to get fit - I started running (jogging) in January after not being able to last half a mile and also started cycling... Did London-Paris off road and a couple of hundred milers as well as a bit of running, passed the fitness test in October once I recovered from said injury

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.