Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've decided that I'm going to apply to Cambridge and am now in the process of choosing a college. At AS I didn't get the best grades out there (in terms of ums) and was wondering whether that would be a limiting factor in applying to a lot of really popular/competitive colleges? Would you guys recommend applying to a less prestigious college in hope that it would boost my chances of being made an offer? I'm applying to do Mathematics if that helps.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamDavies1998)
    I've decided that I'm going to apply to Cambridge and am now in the process of choosing a college. At AS I didn't get the best grades out there (in terms of ums) and was wondering whether that would be a limiting factor in applying to a lot of really popular/competitive colleges? Would you guys recommend applying to a less prestigious college in hope that it would boost my chances of being made an offer? I'm applying to do Mathematics if that helps.
    Thank you!
    You can find your answer in OP of this thread.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3554013
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Thank you!
    In addition to vincrows's tip, it's worth noting that maths has much higher offers per applicant ratio than all the other courses at Cambridge. No matter which college you pick.

The reason: STEP.

STEP is a much more important factor than college "popularity".

But you will need a reasonable UMS to get an offer from any college - what's your Maths UMS (if you don't mind)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    In addition to vincrows's tip, it's worth noting that maths has much higher offers per applicant ratio than all the other courses at Cambridge. No matter which college you pick.

The reason: STEP.

STEP is a much more important factor than college "popularity".

But you will need a reasonable UMS to get an offer from any college - what's your Maths UMS (if you don't mind)?
    I've been participating in the STEP correspondence course since January so hopefully that will be beneficial.

Maths 293/300
    Further maths 270/300
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I've been participating in the STEP correspondence course since January so hopefully that will be beneficial.

Maths 293/300
    Further maths 270/300
    Cool. Should be fine for an interview - and then who knows

Re college choice - I recently did a little analysis comparing Trinity with "less popular" colleges for maths. Trinity has a middling offer rate, and one of the highest acceptance rates (accepted/applicants).

Pick the college you like - not because it's "easier" or "harder" for a subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Re college choice - I recently did a little analysis comparing Trinity with "less popular" colleges for maths. Trinity has a middling offer rate, and one of the highest acceptance rates (accepted/applicants).
    Self-selection, perhaps...?

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.