Turn on thread page Beta

I crave attention and the need to be desired and I really need help watch

ReputationRep:
    this is a serious question and I really need help. i'm 20 and I was raised by a single mother as my father passed away. The problem I have is that when i'm in public, I always try and catch the eyes of men and see if they're checking me out. if they do, I feel happy and if they dont and are checking out the other female im with, i feel so upset and just unattractive (which is bad since ive been told im pretty). I hate it when people (strangers) ignore me in public and I always want to be admired and complimented (from my family too). Nobody knows about this and its eating away at me inside. I just wish I was very confident and didn't 'crave' this attention and compliments. I cant even enjoy myself when im with others because i constantly think of whether they think im beautiful or not. is this even normal? Id really appreciate it of someone helped me

also how can I just avoid looking at people when im in public so i dont constantly feel paranoid

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a confidence/low self esteem issue. Perhaps the fact that you never had a dad growing up is affecting you subconsciously? Maybe that's why you seek attention from men? I know that's a really weird and almost creepy way of looking at it but it's natural to want to make up for what was lacking in childhood.

Are you doing okay in life otherwise? Do you feel happy with where you're at atm? If not perhaps consider focusing on moving in a direction that'll more satisfy the type of person you are so that you're not relying on other people to give you what you need. Of course you'll always need people friends, family etc though. It's just really important to try and reinforce in your own mind that you're good enough without the approval and adoration of random people in the street. They don't know you! They don't know your talents your best attributes don't let them set the bar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    Sounds like a confidence/low self esteem issue. Perhaps the fact that you never had a dad growing up is affecting you subconsciously? Maybe that's why you seek attention from men? I know that's a really weird and almost creepy way of looking at it but it's natural to want to make up for what was lacking in childhood.

Are you doing okay in life otherwise? Do you feel happy with where you're at atm? If not perhaps consider focusing on moving in a direction that'll more satisfy the type of person you are so that you're not relying on other people to give you what you need. Of course you'll always need people friends, family etc though. It's just really important to try and reinforce in your own mind that you're good enough without the approval and adoration of random people in the street. They don't know you! They don't know your talents your best attributes don't let them set the bar.
    thanks so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by netflixJunkie20)
    thanks so much
    Real or sarcastic ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    Real or sarcastic ?
    real

ReputationRep:
    real
    Glad

ReputationRep:
    ?.

ReputationRep:
    Didnt you already post this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemadhatter)
    Didnt you already post this?
    yeah b

ReputationRep:
    yeah b
    why dont u listen to the other posts advice? a lot of them were telling you to see a psychiatrist cause you could have underlying problems.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 13, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.