Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think I'll be predicted? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I need to make my uni choices soon and I have heard nothing about when the predicted grades are released for my college so I just wondered from you guys' experience, what do you think I'll be predicted?

Just to give me an idea.

AS: Maths B (77% UMS), Biology B (74% UMS), Chemistry C (69.7 UMS%) - yes I was literally 1 UMS off a B...

I am thinking of taking resits so this will tell me whether I need to resit modules to get the grades I want to get.

Thanks

Smileyface97 x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smileyface97)
    I need to make my uni choices soon and I have heard nothing about when the predicted grades are released for my college so I just wondered from you guys' experience, what do you think I'll be predicted?

Just to give me an idea.

AS: Maths B (77% UMS), Biology B (74% UMS), Chemistry C (69.7 UMS%) - yes I was literally 1 UMS off a B...

I am thinking of taking resits so this will tell me whether I need to resit modules to get the grades I want to get.

Thanks

Smileyface97 x
    How can we tell you whether you would need to resit when we don't know what you want?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    How can we tell you whether you would need to resit when we don't know what you want?

I will resit depending on what you think I'll be predicted. If the consensus is less than what I want to achieve at A2, then I'll resit the units I did less well in.

I just want to know, what do you think I'll be predicted?

ReputationRep:
    AAA

ReputationRep:
    AAB- BBC depending on how generous your teachers are I'd say ABB

ReputationRep:
    I will resit depending on what you think I'll be predicted. If the consensus is less than what I want to achieve at A2, then I'll resit the units I did less well in.

It depends on whether they inflate your grades or not. A realistic prediction would be BBC or BBB (apparently most people actually go down a grade, but practically no one gets predicted a grade less), but a more inflated prediction would be around AAB. You shouldn't necersarily trust what they predict you as an accurate prediction though.

To give you an idea I got ABB at AS and ended up being predicted A*AA, but I knew those grades were overinflated and so accepted an offer of BBB. I had however deliberately asked for inflated grades (the ones they really predicted me, behind the scenes, were ABC) to stand out against the competition (my college were very flexible like that). In the end I achieved A*AB and adjusted up to another uni, so they weren't that inflated and I did kinda flunk the one I got a B in so that "inflated" prediction was closer than the "honest" one in the end anyway.

Mocks are probably a better predictor than anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SCAR H)
    AAA
    That would be awesome if they predicted me that! Thanks for replying!

(Original post by Ezme39)
    AAB- BBC depending on how generous your teachers are I'd say ABB
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:

You will base a potentially life-changing decision on a consensus of the inexperienced? In which case CCC.

ReputationRep:
    Probably ABB

Although anywhere from AAB-BBC

ReputationRep:

Just to give me an idea.

Thanks

Smileyface97 x
    The general rule of thumb is one grade higher than your AS grades so probably AAB but it depends.

ReputationRep:
    At what point should a teacher predict an A*? Is a low A good enough? Or are we looking at 90+UMS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azzer11)
    At what point should a teacher predict an A*? Is a low A good enough? Or are we looking at 90+UMS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Up to your teachers entirely.

ReputationRep:

Just to give me an idea.

Thanks

Smileyface97 x
    My advice:

Screw predicted grades. None of that nonsense. Ignore your application this year.

Concentrate as much as you can on this year and try your very best to get the highest marks. Try to get AAA

Reapply next year with better grades and a much better reference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ser Alex Toyne)
    My advice:

Screw predicted grades. None of that nonsense. Ignore your application this year.

Concentrate as much as you can on this year and try your very best to get the highest marks. Try to get AAA

Reapply next year with better grades and a much better reference.
    Disagree.

Nothing to lose by applying this year. Especially if your courses are ABB ish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Disagree.

Nothing to lose by applying this year. Especially if your courses are ABB ish
    If you do badly at AS, your teachers will most likely give you a bad prediction and they won't want to write you a reference to top end universities. so I'd rather work hard to get the grades, then reapply with a better set of grades. Otherwise even if I get A*AA, I still wouldn't get into those UNis since I couldn't apply to them in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ser Alex Toyne)
    If you do badly at AS, your teachers will most likely give you a bad prediction and they won't want to write you a reference to top end universities. so I'd rather work hard to get the grades, then reapply with a better set of grades. Otherwise even if I get A*AA, I still wouldn't get into those UNis since I couldn't apply to them in the first place.
    They didn't exactly do badly...

OP hasn't indicated they want to go for the very top.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    You will base a potentially life-changing decision on a consensus of the inexperienced? In which case CCC.
    You have misunderstood. Smileyface seems to be just getting an idea and would probably check with teachers as well. Your comment I would take as being rather harsh. You have virtually called this person "stupid" which is not helpful. The student room is supposed to support and help fellow students, not make them feel bad. If you can't offer good , sensible advice don't comment 'cause your comment here was not nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetpeas)
    You have misunderstood. Smileyface seems to be just getting an idea and would probably check with teachers as well. Your comment I would take as being rather harsh. You have virtually called this person "stupid" which is not helpful. The student room is supposed to support and help fellow students, not make them feel bad. If you can't offer good , sensible advice don't comment 'cause your comment here was not nice.
    The OP stated 'I will resit depending on what you think I'll be predicted.' I stand by my opinion - that is a ludicrous way to make such a fundamental decision. I agree that the opinion of her teachers would be far more useful than that of a set of random, uninformed strangers.

As for 'helping', that does not consist of merely approving - one has to maintain a sense of informed criticism. In the long run, being 'not nice' can be more constructive than being merely pleasant.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 13, 2015
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.