The Student Room Group

What six forms are good in London?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kamranali
Yes I am. I'm applying to Harris Westminister, Holland Park School and Kensington Aldridge Academy. There all going well so far and I'm due for entrance exams for Harris in a few weeks. To be a honest I havent decided which I'm going to attend yet but alls well.

Didnt bother applying to St Doms because of the catholic thing it was a big turn off. Also a religious refrennce is needed, like wtf. As an agnostic I figuered I'd be better suited elsewhere.

What made you want to apply to holland park?Also what A-levels do you want to do and what are your predicted grades for GCSE'S? It would be useful if you told me any tips about applying and stuff like that?
(edited 8 years ago)
St Olave's Grammar School, London, is a grant maintained grammar school, founded in 1571, and is consecutively in the top 3 schools of all status in the national rankings. It has also been the nations top 'non-independent' school 8 out of the last 9 years. 55 of the 100 students gained places at the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge in 2015 and all 100 students went to Russell groups universities, mostly, Imperial, UCL, Bristol, Exeter, LSE. 19 students had 6A*s or better at A-Level. The average Oxbridge admissions rate for the school is 59 per year. I entered the school at Y12, and everyone who was accepted (boys) had at least 9A*s at GCSE. Also the vast majority came from independent schools or grammar schools. There are no fees however everyone is asked to contribute via the monthly contributions, however if one cannot afford to pay anything, this is accepted by the school.
Here is a list of some elite schools in London and thre surrounding area within a 1 hour or so radius around London;
Eton College (IND)
Harrow School (IND)
St Olave's School (GGRA)
Westminster School (IND)
Dulwich College (IND)
Newstead Wood School (GGRA)
Wilsons School (GRA)
Wallington County School (GRA)
Latymer Upper (STA)
Henrietta Barnet (GRA)
Tonbridge School (IND)
Original post by Anonymous1502
What made you want to apply to holland park?Also what A-levels do you want to do and what are your predicted grades for GCSE'S? It would be useful if you told me any tips about applying and stuff like that?

I'm looking to study French, History, English Lit and R.E. My predicted grades are as follows-

Maths - A
English Lit - B
English Lang - B
Core Science - B
Additional Science - A
French - A
History - A
R.E - B
Drama - B
Dance - A

If you ask me these grades are abysmal and in no way represent what I believe I am going to achieve, they were given to me before my mock exams and don't reflect my current progression. The only reason I settled with them and didn't complain was because they were enough to get my application considered. If you ask me I'm more likely to achieve BBABAA*A*A*A*A* but some of my teachers don't like me so they just picked a random grade out of the air when i asked them for my predicted grades. Anyway I chose Holland Park because their facilities are outstanding, their teaching standards are very high (unlike in my school), and they make sure their students are doing the best they can. High standards is what Holland Park has in my view. The best thing you as a year 10 student ( I think) can do now is work hard on your GCSEs and make sure you know what A- Levels you want to take, and how they will affect your uni course choices.
Original post by Mathematicus65
St Olave's Grammar School, London, is a grant maintained grammar school, founded in 1571, and is consecutively in the top 3 schools of all status in the national rankings. It has also been the nations top 'non-independent' school 8 out of the last 9 years. 55 of the 100 students gained places at the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge in 2015 and all 100 students went to Russell groups universities, mostly, Imperial, UCL, Bristol, Exeter, LSE. 19 students had 6A*s or better at A-Level. The average Oxbridge admissions rate for the school is 59 per year. I entered the school at Y12, and everyone who was accepted (boys) had at least 9A*s at GCSE. Also the vast majority came from independent schools or grammar schools. There are no fees however everyone is asked to contribute via the monthly contributions, however if one cannot afford to pay anything, this is accepted by the school.

It seems great but wayyyyy to far away from me. I live in Notting Hill, and the school is alll the way in Orpington!?!?!
It seems great but wayyyyy to far away from me. I live in Notting Hill, and the school is alll the way in Orpington!?!?!

It's worth it. 95% of the students live 1hour + commute away from the school. It took me 1 hour and a half each morning, and it was the best decision of my life.

The average number of people who go to Oxbridge from Olaves isn't 59 per year. The 55 figure for 2015 included medicine places too, not just Oxbridge and we're only averaging around 30/33 for Oxbridge each year. I highly doubt everyone who was entered had at least 9A*s at GCSE - I know so many who have far less than that! There were almost 200 students in 2015 so the percentage acceptance to Oxbridge is actually a lot lower, what with so many more students being added in each year.

A lot of people live very far away - I wouldn't say most but it can take me 2 hours to get home. Olaves is great but don't just come here because of the stats and the record they've made for themselves. I would imagine that as long as you're willing to put the effort in, and the teaching is standard, you'd do well at any other grammar school. Most, if not all, grammar schools depend on the students rather than the standard of teaching.
It's worth it. 95% of the students live 1hour + commute away from the school. It took me 1 hour and a half each morning, and it was the best decision of my life.

I really want to go to st olaves but its 1 hour and 30 minutes away and i would have to take the train which does not bother me but my mom says she does not want me to go there because its far away, which enrages me a lot! What a levels are you doing or done? Are you currently still in sixth form? Also what are the entrance exams like to st olaves, I'm thinking about doing chemistry,biology,maths and physics. Would I be at a disadvantage as I only do core and additional science as my school wont allow me to do triple science, which I think I'm capable of doing. In the entrance exam is it just questions that come from old GCSE papers or do they make their own questions?
Here is a list of some elite schools in London and thre surrounding area within a 1 hour or so radius around London;
Eton College (IND)
Harrow School (IND)
St Olave's School (GGRA)
Westminster School (IND)
Dulwich College (IND)
Newstead Wood School (GGRA)
Wilsons School (GRA)
Wallington County School (GRA)
Latymer Upper (STA)
Henrietta Barnet (GRA)
Tonbridge School (IND)

Many of the schools you mention are fee paying and most of these schools that offer scholarships only offer scholarships for music,drama and art. I want to go to Henrietta Barnett but it only has 30 places for people from other schools which i do not think its fair that if you do not go to their school in secondary that you have less of a chance of getting in. I considered going to latymer school, the grammar school, but I do not live in the postcode requirement area. :frown:
Many of the schools you mention are fee paying and most of these schools that offer scholarships only offer scholarships for music,drama and art. I want to go to Henrietta Barnett but it only has 30 places for people from other schools which i do not think its fair that if you do not go to their school in secondary that you have less of a chance of getting in. I considered going to latymer school, the grammar school, but I do not live in the postcode requirement area. :frown:

Henrietta Barnett actually takes 50 external students every year... More if some girls from the school move for sixth form.
I currently go to HBS, but I'm looking to move somewhere else. If you're willing to go to a school which only cares about grades and not about anything else (i.e. student well-being and mental health), then sure, go to HBS. The pressure is huge, and most teachers are sub-standard (there are only a few good teachers). But if you think you are made for that kind of environment, then it could fit you.
Original post by charleave
Henrietta Barnett actually takes 50 external students every year... More if some girls from the school move for sixth form.
I currently go to HBS, but I'm looking to move somewhere else. If you're willing to go to a school which only cares about grades and not about anything else (i.e. student well-being and mental health), then sure, go to HBS. The pressure is huge, and most teachers are sub-standard (there are only a few good teachers). But if you think you are made for that kind of environment, then it could fit you.

Really I thought it was a good school. For em grades are very important. What school would you move to? Are you in yr 12 or 13? Do they have entrance exams if yes, tell me more about them and how hard they are. Please tell me more about the teaching quality and how much homework do you get. Also what are my chances of getting in?What A levels are you doing?Is there anything you like about the school?
Really I thought it was a good school. For em grades are very important. What school would you move to? Are you in yr 12 or 13? Do they have entrance exams if yes, tell me more about them and how hard they are. Please tell me more about the teaching quality and how much homework do you get. Also what are my chances of getting in?What A levels are you doing?Is there anything you like about the school?

If by 'good school' you mean it ranks well in the league tables, then yes, it is. Personally, I think a 'good school' isn't just a grades factory.
Grades are important to me as well, but I know I can't get good grades if I'm stressed and overwhelmed. I've applied to Woodhouse College because it's near my house, I like the atmosphere, and it's focused more on independent study (which is how I learn best). If I go to Woodhouse, I'm confident I'll get A*A*AA minimum, but if I stay at HBS, I think I'll struggle to even get AAA...
I'm in Y11. There are no entrance exams for the sixth form - the requirements are on the website. They ask for As in the subjects you want to take and at least 6 As at GCSE, although I have heard that most external candidates tend to have 10 A* at GCSE.
Personally, I've found the teaching quality to vary a lot. We have some excellent teachers, but we also have some VERY bad teachers (some can be lovely, but just can't teach at all). Homework varies a lot depending on your subjects, but generally sixth formers are in the library studying for the whole day (9 AM - 3:15 PM), and often stay even after school is over (so they stay until 5 PM, which is when the library closes).
I don't know what your chances are of getting in unless I know your grades...
I'm going to take French, Geography, Classical Civilisation, and Politics. These subjects are definitely some of the ones where people end up getting higher grades. Previous results for all subjects are on the website.
The only thing I like in the school are some of the teachers - a couple of them really care about the students. That's pretty much it. My year is notorious for being filled with really nasty people, and some of the teachers are unnecessarily rude and unhelpful. If you're the perfect student with absolutely no problems in your life and work from 9-5 every day minimum, the school might like you. If anything deviates slightly from that, then they will just abandon you and ignore any problems, then blame you entirely for anything that happens despite them failing in their duty of care.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm going to take French, Geography, Classical Civilisation, and Politics. These subjects are definitely some of the ones where people end up getting higher grades.

I don't think Classical Civilisation and Politics are facilitating subjects. Depending on what you want to do after your A Levels, you may want to replace those with something else. I would also say that you should take subjects on the basis of what you want to do at university rather than looking at statistics about which subjects get higher grades. A*A*A*A* in those subjects will be of little to no use if you want to study a science. :wink:
Original post by Hydeman
I don't think Classical Civilisation and Politics are facilitating subjects. Depending on what you want to do after your A Levels, you may want to replace those with something else. I would also say that you should take subjects on the basis of what you want to do at university rather than looking at statistics about which subjects get higher grades. A*A*A*A* in those subjects will be of little to no use if you want to study a science. :wink:

I know they're not facilitating subjects (although they are still respected) but I'm still going to take them. You only need one or two facilitating subjects for Russell Group universities, and international universities I am considering applying to don't look at whether the subjects I take are facilitating. I already know that I won't be going into science as a career or studying it at uni since I don't enjoy it, so I don't need sciences. I will be studying humanities/social sciences, and for those you only need a single essay subject.
I have done a lot of research and have spoken to admissions tutors at Cambridge. Thankfully, I can take ClassCiv and Politics (which I love), because I'm already taking two facilitating subjects, and they are essay subjects and will help rather than hinder my university applications. Ultimately, studying the arts instead of sciences offers me a lot more freedom to study subjects I enjoy without being constrained by university requirements.
I have done my research. I have an idea of what I want to study, where I want to study, and I know the requirements needed to get onto those courses.
So thank you, but I don't need A-Level advice. :smile:

As for the bit about higher grades - I was informing Anonymous1502 that in my school, the humanities tend to achieve higher results. I did not choose my A-Levels based on my school's results - the subjects I will be taking just happen to be the ones my school does better in and where the better teachers tend to be. I said this because I know a lot of people come to HBS wishing to study BCM to do medicine at uni, but are failing to get the grades in my school due to inadequate teaching. I may not have been very clear about that, but that was why I included that little bit about grades.
I know they're not facilitating subjects (although they are still respected) but I'm still going to take them. You only need one or two facilitating subjects for Russell Group universities, and international universities I am considering applying to don't look at whether the subjects I take are facilitating. I already know that I won't be going into science as a career or studying it at uni since I don't enjoy it, so I don't need sciences. I will be studying humanities/social sciences, and for those you only need a single essay subject.
I have done a lot of research and have spoken to admissions tutors at Cambridge. Thankfully, I can take ClassCiv and Politics (which I love), because I'm already taking two facilitating subjects, and they are essay subjects and will help rather than hinder my university applications. Ultimately, studying the arts instead of sciences offers me a lot more freedom to study subjects I enjoy without being constrained by university requirements.
I have done my research. I have an idea of what I want to study, where I want to study, and I know the requirements needed to get onto those courses.

As for the bit about higher grades - I was informing Anonymous1502 that in my school, the humanities tend to achieve higher results. I did not choose my A-Levels based on my school's results - the subjects I will be taking just happen to be the ones my school does better in and where the better teachers tend to be. I said this because I know a lot of people come to HBS wishing to study BCM to do medicine at uni, but are failing to get the grades in my school due to inadequate teaching. I may not have been very clear about that, but that was why I included that little bit about grades.

What uni course do you want to do? I'm looking at doimg MML at Cam and I didnt realize your subject choices could be so diverse? I get Geography is a facilitating sibject but it seems quite science like. If you ask me Classical Civalisation and Politics are okay subjects but Geography? I dunno.

What sixth forms do you think have better grades in science compared to HBS? What sixth forms would you recommend for me if I want to do all the three sciences and maths?
What sixth forms do you think have better grades in science compared to HBS? What sixth forms would you recommend for me if I want to do all the three sciences and maths?

I don't believe there are many science oriented schools, but I do know Harris is a very science and maths based schools; lots of people study it there.
Yes I am. I'm applying to Harris Westminister, Holland Park School and Kensington Aldridge Academy. There all going well so far and I'm due for entrance exams for Harris in a few weeks. To be a honest I havent decided which I'm going to attend yet but alls well.

Didnt bother applying to St Doms because of the catholic thing it was a big turn off. Also a religious refrennce is needed, like wtf. As an agnostic I figuered I'd be better suited elsewhere.

I go to Harris Beckenham and if HW is anything like the other Harris Secondary Schools, then I would say don't bother. I know that Sec Schools and 6th Forms are different but at the same time I know that franchised schools have traits running through. However, I understand that Harris Westminster is joint with Westminster School. If that is the case I may be wrong. Also I totally agree about the Catholic thing. Massive turnoff.
Original post by aregisford
I go to Harris Beckenham and if HW is anything like the other Harris Secondary Schools, then I would say don't bother. I know that Sec Schools and 6th Forms are different but at the same time I know that franchised schools have traits running through. However, I understand that Harris Westminster is joint with Westminster School. If that is the case I may be wrong. Also I totally agree about the Catholic thing. Massive turnoff.

Whats wrong with your Harris schhol? Is it the way its run as a part of the Harris Federation schhols or a unique problem? And yeah I jusf have this vision of a pervy priest coming to "vist" swim sessions.
I don't believe there are many science oriented schools, but I do know Harris is a very science and maths based schools; lots of people study it there.

Do you think HBS has high grades because of the teaching or because of the students or what?In HBS is it more independent learning or are the teachers mostly involved?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending