Turn on thread page Beta

Investing Savings whilst at Uni (1st Year) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting Uni in about and a week and I've been working at a software firm for the past year, saving half of my salary.

I've currently got these savings in a low interest easy access account, the initial idea being that It was left untouched for a house deposit in my 2nd year.

Just wondering now as to whether it would be worth trying to invest my savings during my first year, try to put the money to work. I'm going to Hull University so cost of living isn't super high and looking at the books my student loan will far cover it.

Of course I wouldn't start until a few months into my course, so I can get a feel for my spending habits and have my savings liquid in case things get out of hand.

Does anyone have any experience of doing this? Is it a good idea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StorsJT)
    ]Just wondering now as to whether it would be worth trying to invest my savings during my first year, try to put the money to work.
    Invest in what? Anything other than cash for that short a timespan would be pretty insane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StorsJT)
    I'm starting Uni in about and a week and I've been working at a software firm for the past year, saving half of my salary.

I've currently got these savings in a low interest easy access account, the initial idea being that It was left untouched for a house deposit in my 2nd year.

Just wondering now as to whether it would be worth trying to invest my savings during my first year, try to put the money to work. I'm going to Hull University so cost of living isn't super high and looking at the books my student loan will far cover it.

Of course I wouldn't start until a few months into my course, so I can get a feel for my spending habits and have my savings liquid in case things get out of hand.

Does anyone have any experience of doing this? Is it a good idea?
    Depends what you are on about investing in. If you are meaning the stock market then you need a realistic amount of start up capital so you don't get wiped out by commission costs.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.