Turn on thread page Beta

How to deal with people who think low of you? watch

ReputationRep:
    Some my uncles and aunties look at me as some self-pity figure, they are SO ARROGANT, I cannot believe it.

They think I cannot get a date, girlfriend or someone to marry for the future. They obviously think low of me and I'm not sure why.

They encourage my cousins to go for it, go get yourself a women, find someone at uni, give them encourage and support but never me. I'm also running two business's and they are just ignoring it.

They told my cousin to look for someone nice, someone you like and they totally cut me out and a couple of months ago they were talking about marriage and having kids and my uncle who was talking about it did not make eye contact to me.

I've dated women in the past, which I've kept to myself and women like me.

I was at a football match and the captain told me to take a penalty which two middle aged women who happen to have kids who were spectators (the spectators are always the same from the last 5 years) shouted: HIM? like in a rude manner.

How do I deal with the ignorance, arrogance? The only thing I can think of is become very successful in my degree, business's and earn a lot.

(Original post by CompSci89)
    Some my uncles and aunties look at me as some self-pity figure, they are SO ARROGANT, I cannot believe it.

They think I cannot get a date, girlfriend or someone to marry for the future. They obviously think low of me and I'm not sure why.

They encourage my cousins to go for it, go get yourself a women, find someone at uni, give them encourage and support but never me. I'm also running two business's and they are just ignoring it.

They told my cousin to look for someone nice, someone you like and they totally cut me out and a couple of months ago they were talking about marriage and having kids and my uncle who was talking about it did not make eye contact to me.

I've dated women in the past, which I've kept to myself and women like me.

I was at a football match and the captain told me to take a penalty and two of the middle aged women who happen to have kids who were as spectators (the spectators are always the same from the last 5 years) shouted: HIM? like in a rude manner.

How do I deal with the ignorance, arrogance? The only thing I can think of is become very successful in my degree, business's and earn a lot.
    Always maintain in your mind that your uncles and aunties are in a generation of the past, and you're in a generation of the future. The world they see is small compared to the world you have the potential to see. With this perspective, and objective view of things, then you can truly take these petty criticisms as pinches of salt.

And the criticisms from people who do not know who you really are, should have no place to rest in your memory. Surround yourself with those who rejoice with you in your successes, and well those that don't, they can only impede your progress.

ReputationRep:
    "I was at a football match and the captain told me to take a penalty and two of the middle aged women who happen to have kids who were as spectators (the spectators are always the same from the last 5 years) shouted: HIM? like in a rude manner."

lol gutted

ReputationRep:
    Why do you care what others think? It is their problem, not yours (if they don't like you).

Just start letting go of being dependent on other people's feelings, honestly.

ReputationRep:
    It sucks people treat you less of a person and a failure because of not being in a relationship even though you have other great achievements that actually matter and they don't give a ****.

Advice to cope? I guess just try and change ther opinions, dropping in comments that would make them think more of you, they treat me as a joke so if you join in and laugh at yourself, sometimes they respect you. I know how irritating it is and it takes a toll on your self esteem but know that others understand this aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    people put me down so i bun a fat spliff, then get ****ing active

ReputationRep:
    I have the 'I don't give a ****' attitude. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    I stopped caring a while ago, if people "think low" of me, that's their problem not mine. I have the people I need :lol:

May be a bit more difficult with family, but it stops you worrying what they think

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 12, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.