Worrymuch
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi
I am definitely doing maths, further maths, and physocs a levels to apply for physics at uni but for my 4th subject I am stuck between chemistry and economics. I prefer economics so would there be any real benefit when applying of doing chemistry instead as it is another science?
Thanks
Infraspecies
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Chemistry is far more relevant.
Economics has no unique selling point, as a skill set developer.

Chemistry, on the other hand, has complimentary uses of physical & natural science concepts.
C0balt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Taking chemistry allows you to look at physics from a different angle. You see applications of physics within chemistry, and I found this exciting.

But economics will allow you to keep that option open at uni so if you are not dead set on physics then you could take that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
TunaTunnel
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not relevant really, you'll have little chance to do chemistry based modules. Possibly elements of condensed matter coming closest to chemistry.
tanyapotter
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You're taking the 3 most relevant subjects so for your fourth, only do chemistry if you prefer it to economics. Obviously chemistry is a physical science and therefore much more relevant, but you'll do perfectly fine without it and if you prefer economics, there's absolutely no reason not to take it.

I'm taking maths, physics, further maths and german to A2 - I want to apply for engineering which is similar to physics in terms of subject requirements and I could have chosen chemistry as my fourth but I simply didn't want to because I don't like it - I chose my favourite foreign language instead and not only is it extremely fun, but it's also a great break from all the inevitable maths and physics I will be doing this year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Course Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 2 Feb '20
  • University of Bath
    Postgraduate Virtual Open Day 5 February 2020, 11:00-15:00 (UK time) Postgraduate
    Wed, 5 Feb '20

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (64)
35.96%
I really love the subject (46)
25.84%
I don't know what else to do (22)
12.36%
I can't get a job (15)
8.43%
My parents want me to (4)
2.25%