Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm in year 12 and have just started A Levels. Would it be worth applying for Glaxosmithkline Work Experience in February if I intend to study Medicine at uni? The work experience would be in a laboratory probably working on pharmaceuticals and medicines?

ReputationRep:
    What will it tell you about the day to day work which most doctors do in the NHS?

ReputationRep:
    Yes it would be, but try get hospital/GP experience as well
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Democracy)
    What will it tell you about the day to day work which most doctors do in the NHS?
    I got research experience and was told it was decent- got an offer too. Research is a massive part of medicine no?

OP, please there's so many articles and things online suggesting which work experience is good for med apps, we know that shadowing doctors/ those in health care is good, we know that volunteering and direct patient contact is good, we know that so much things are good
    If you've got yourself a GSK work experience placement in addition to what every single medical school applicant has then good for you
    please have self confidence in your choices

whilst i'm not studying medicine now, I was the only person to get an offer at my college, and I was the only person to think outside the box in terms of experience and obvs getting a decent ukcat score.

(Original post by Cyan Ink)
    Hi I'm in year 12 and have just started A Levels. Would it be worth applying for Glaxosmithkline Work Experience in February if I intend to study Medicine at uni? The work experience would be in a laboratory probably working on pharmaceuticals and medicines?
    apply, and get other experience too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouspie227)
    I got research experience and was told it was decent- got an offer too. Research is a massive part of medicine no?
    There's nothing wrong with it, but it shouldn't take precedence over work experience in a hospital or a GP surgery. Yes, many doctors are involved in research, but comparatively few do research in industry. As a prospective medical student and junior doctor your time will be spent on the wards and in the clinics, so it's more important to make sure that your expectations and understanding of hospital medicine are accurate and that you can get that across in the limited number of words you have in your PS.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with it, but it shouldn't take precedence over work experience in a hospital or a GP surgery. Yes, many doctors are involved in research, but comparatively few do research in industry. As a prospective medical student and junior doctor your time will be spent on the wards and in the clinics, so it's more important to make sure that your expectations and understanding of hospital medicine are accurate and that you can get that across in the limited number of words you have in your PS.
    The problem with that is everyone has it. GSK would be a good bet, it'd be a quite unique experience and a possible interview talker (they'd enjoy talking about that more than hearing generic stories about MDT's and communication skills etc.). Of course they need both, but it's a good way to stand out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Depleted)
    The problem with that is everyone has it. GSK would be a good bet, it'd be a quite unique experience and a possible interview talker (they'd enjoy talking about that more than hearing generic stories about MDT's and communication skills etc.). Of course they need both, but it's a good way to stand out.
    Yes, everyone has it, but not everyone actually understands what they're supposed to be taking away from it. A significant number of applicants simply view it as a box ticking exercise along with getting good grades and acing the UKCAT (seriously, read some of the threads on here if you don't believe me).

It's not about getting unique experiences, that would be totally unfair as some applicants have the means and connections to gain really interesting placements whereas others struggle to get the bare minimum.

The interviewers aren't looking to hear cool stories. They're looking to see that the applicant has done more than simply turn up. Applicants who are switched on and engaged could gain all the information they need about what medicine is like from a single day of work experience. Others still won't get it even with weeks of placements.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    Yes it's true that you should get work experience relevant to being an actual doctor- as I mentioned in my post as well. And I'm pretty sure a line about your work experience in a lab confirming how medicine combines your interests in continuous education/research- blah and blah wont take away that much from the word count.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    Yes, everyone has it, but not everyone actually understands what they're supposed to be taking away from it. A significant number of applicants simply view it as a box ticking exercise along with getting good grades and acing the UKCAT (seriously, read some of the threads on here if you don't believe me).

It's not about getting unique experiences, that would be totally unfair as some applicants have the means and connections to gain really interesting placements whereas others struggle to get the bare minimum.

The interviewers aren't looking to hear cool stories. They're looking to see that the applicant has done more than simply turn up. Applicants who are switched on and engaged could gain all the information they need about what medicine is like from a single day of work experience. Others still won't get it even with weeks of placements.
    Applying to medical school is massively a tick boxing exercise though.

ReputationRep:

I guess it depends. Bold bits a sad fact of life, same reason some get private school education and others don't. I got 4 interviews and at all of them was asked about something which was unique to myself, with a conversation ensuing and even some informal chat outside of that. The thing that most forget, and they get too serious, is that they're not looking for someone who's a ready made doctor, having extensive knowledge of the NHS and the roles of a HCP, they're looking for someone with potential, and the skills that are suited to being in the medical profession.

Also the poster above is right. If I'm honest I bull****ted 70% of my PS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouspie227)
    Applying to medical school is massively a tick boxing exercise though.
    Oh bits of it certainly are, but one thing which absolutely isn't is getting work experience and understanding what the job is about imho.

The problem with not being switched on to what's going on around you with regards to the job and considering medicine simply because it sounds good or interesting or prestigious or whatever else is that you end up being one of those confused people we get every few days on here asking whether they should do medicine or...IB :stupid:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 12, 2015

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.