Turn on thread page Beta

Emergency contraception advice needed watch

So last night my period came however I still had sex with my boyfriend around 11pm however the condom snapped just as he started to orgasm whilst still inside me.
    Since the next day is Sunday, my GP surgery will be closed so I can't get a prescription for an emergency pill. I can't buy a contraceptive pill from a pharmacy as they charge £35 and I won't have the money in time so I need advice and support on what to do next
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Period just starting = very, very, very unlikely to be pregnant.

If that's not good enough for you, Monday will still be in time for emergency pill - searching nhs.uk will find anywhere nearby that does it for free. Alternatively, you have about five days to have an IUD fitted.

But see first line...

ReputationRep:
    I know this is a late reply, but for future reference, the morning after pill can be taken up to three days (72 hours) after unprotected sex. After the first 12 hours it's effectiveness starts to decrease so it's definitely worth taking a pregnancy test a few weeks later to be sure there were no accidents.

As for cost, Boots does it for free. Just go to the pharmacy counter and ask to speak the pharmacist about the morning after pill (this might seem embarrassing but they get so many people asking for it, multiple times a day, so DON'T be embarrassed, they've seen and heard it all). Usually they'll ask you to go into the consulting room and will ask you a few questions about when you had sex and when your last period was, as well as your general health (any heart problems or kidney problems etc). After the questions they'll just give you the morning after pill and some water to take there and then. With me the pharmacist gave me the info leaflet that came in the pill box to read when I got home. It's really no big deal, don't worry, just be safe.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 8, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.