Turn on thread page Beta

Hi all,
    This is something that has been bugging me the past few days.
    I started university in 2014 ,however at that time I was going through a lot with my family .There was a period where I didn't talk to my family for months.As you can imagine ,I was down for quite a while and I gave up on everything.I spent the year alone and kept myself to myself.Emotions everywhere took over my life and I didn't want to associate myself with anybody.The biggest thing that I let go of in that time was my appearance.Pre-university I would get up early ,do my hair nicely ,do my makeup ,make an effort to look nice and presentable.I felt good about myself.However in the first year of uni (2014-2015) I was down Ivstopped doing all that.Kept my hair in a bun ,would wash it and bun it back .It was just horrible looking back.I wore jumpers, old oversized t-shirts and ripped trainers *sigh*.(Girls you'll know them days).
    However this summer I had along think ,a good look at my life and realised how much of myself I neglected.
    Now that I'm going back to uni ,I want to bring out the old me again-the girl who takes pride in her appearance and loves being around people.I managed to replace a lot of old clothes and mature my wardrobe.Bought a lot of things like blouses ,skirts and dresses even a handbag to carry to uni.Not to forget more makeup.
    However there's a part of me that is scared of being judged.Silly I know.
    I feel like people got used to me being this makeup less nerd with a massive ripped bagpack ,seeing a different me will be a complete shock.I don't even know why it bothers me but it does:/
    Thoughts+Advice welcome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi all,
    This is something that has been bugging me the past few days.
    I started university in 2014 ,however at that time I was going through a lot with my family .There was a period where I didn't talk to my family for months.As you can imagine ,I was down for quite a while and I gave up on everything.I spent the year alone and kept myself to myself.Emotions everywhere took over my life and I didn't want to associate myself with anybody.The biggest thing that I let go of in that time was my appearance.Pre-university I would get up early ,do my hair nicely ,do my makeup ,make an effort to look nice and presentable.I felt good about myself.However in the first year of uni (2014-2015) I was down Ivstopped doing all that.Kept my hair in a bun ,would wash it and bun it back .It was just horrible looking back.I wore jumpers, old oversized t-shirts and ripped trainers *sigh*.(Girls you'll know them days).
    However this summer I had along think ,a good look at my life and realised how much of myself I neglected.
    Now that I'm going back to uni ,I want to bring out the old me again-the girl who takes pride in her appearance and loves being around people.I managed to replace a lot of old clothes and mature my wardrobe.Bought a lot of things like blouses ,skirts and dresses even a handbag to carry to uni.Not to forget more makeup.
    However there's a part of me that is scared of being judged.Silly I know.
    I feel like people got used to me being this makeup less nerd with a massive ripped bagpack ,seeing a different me will be a complete shock.I don't even know why it bothers me but it does:/
    Thoughts+Advice welcome
    People will always judge others welcome to society, however, there are those who judge less and those who do not simply judge others based of the external. Really you should be questioning if you are now stronger mentally, have you overcome whatever struggles you had before?

Stop thinking so much about how others see you it's not very important and will make you a bit paranoid. Think about how you see yourself and how you want to live life, that's really all that matters because when you start doing things to please others at some point eventually you will realise your life has no meaning and is empty.

If you want to wear make up because it makes you happy well do it, if you want to wear beautiful dresses do it. Just make sure you are doing it for you and not others. Everyone goes through changes in life that's just a part of living otherwise you are not learning much. Understand that this is your true self now at some point you may decide you want to make another change and once again that's totally fine if it's coming from the right place.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 13, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.