Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

P3: How Was It For You? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Well the edexcel p3 was not that difficullt. i finsihed the whole paper in abt 45 mins and the remaining time i spent trying to do the last bit of 8. Which i think i got in the end but took 2 sides lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wings)
    Someone please do question 7. the rates of change one.. i got 4t^2=A+c

Why is that wrong... ??
    A = t^2 / (t+1)^2
    You can eliminate the constant, as you're given a value of x and y.

ReputationRep:
    chill ppl, for those who r on about not doing Q1 and 8d on Edexcel....i didn't either but thats 3 + 4 marks.......7 marks, whoopee doo.....no big deal!

i thought paper was ok, could have been so much worse! but yeah it was hard.

(Original post by sideshowbob)
    What was the postion vector of where L1 and L2 intersected. -15i -?j +19k or somethin.
    -17 I think

ReputationRep:
    huh.. please explain.

did i get any marks for getting A=4t^2 + c

was i on the rite track?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahjelly)
    Yeah i got t as 60

is this for question 6? it said in the question that 0 <= t <= pi/2 so you had to find it in radians!!

ReputationRep:
    well, just come back from the exam (edexcel)....by no means an easy paper, but i think i did well. here's the answers that i can remember:

i was able to do the first one (differentiation)
    did the remainder theorem one
    circles, got the gradient of the tangent part as 5/12
    got the answer for the integration by substitution
    partials, A=1, B=2, and then something like: 3 - 3x + 11x^2 for the binomial (not sure about the x term)....wasn't too sure about the 'is it valid' thing
    parametric, was able to prove it was INT (tant + t) dt, and then got something like 6ln2 - (pi^2)/3
    did the first part of the rates of change...i think i got A = (4t^2)/(1+t)^2 for the next part, hence A does not exceed 4, when t->infinity
    got alpha = -3, t=3, s=1 for the first couple parts....d) got something like t=1, or t=5 and substituted them back into the line with 't'

so overall, i think i did well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boygenious)
    A = t^2 / (t+1)^2
    You can eliminate the constant, as you're given a value of x and y.
    wasn't it 4t^2 ?

(Original post by mockel)
    well, just come back from the exam (edexcel)....by no means an easy paper, but i think i did well. here's the answers that i can remember:

i was able to do the first one (differentiation)
    partials, A=1, B=2, and then something like: 3 - 3x + 11x^2 or something like that for the binomial....wasn't too sure about the 'is it valid' thing
    parametric, was able to prove it was INT (tant + t) dt, and then got something like 6ln2 - (pi^2)/3
    did the first part of the rates of change...i think i got A = (4t^2)/(1+t)^2 for the next part, hence A does not exceed 4, when t->infinity
    got alpha = -3, t=3, s=1 for the first couple parts....d) got something like t=1, or t=5 and substituted them back into the line with 't'

Im exactly the same except I couldn't really do the rate of change one, attempted something on 8d but nothing worthwhile and I couldnt factorise the remainder theorem one due to lack of time. Im please to see you agree with my area answer though!!!

so overall, i think i did well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mockel)
    wasn't it 4t^2 ?
    good point. yes it was.

ReputationRep:
    so i got 4t^2.. is that rite or wrong??!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wings)
    so i got 4t^2.. is that rite or wrong??!?!
    It was 4 t^2/(t-1)^2 becuase as t -> OO A -> 4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    was able to do the first one (differentiation)
    partials, A=1, B=2, and then something like: 3 - 3x + 11x^2 for the binomial (not sure about the x term)....wasn't too sure about the 'is it valid' thing
    i agree. hooray.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Womble548)
    It was 4 t^2/(t-1)^2 becuase as t -> OO A -> 4
    I got 4t^2/(t+1)^2

I couldnt do the next part though, as when I did it I got t = -1/2

ReputationRep:
    Did u ever get a point which was

4T^2=A + C

Cos i would like to know if i was on the rite step..and if so wat i shouldhvae done next

ReputationRep:
    sorry, I cant even remember the question. At this moment I just want toforget about the exam until september becuase finding out that I am wrong will only make me feel worse

Looks like resits in January!

ReputationRep:
    I found the paper quite good... should get around 70/75
    I couldn't do question 1 at first, but it was SOOOO EASY!!!

d/dx[ln(cotx+cosecx)] = [1/(cosecx+cotx)] x (-cosecxcotx-cosec^2x)

= [1/(cosecx+cotx)] x (-cosecx)(cosecx+cotx)
    the (cosecx+cotx)s cancel to leave (-cosecx) which is what you had to prove

I couldn't do 8(d) at first, but I think I got it in the end... I think you had to do:
    AB.AC=[AB][AC]cos60
    you knew the position vectors for AB and AC because it told you that they were on line l1 and l2... therefore 'dot' them together and put them equal to (14root2)^2 x 0.5 (it told you that all the lenghts were equal to 14root2). It might be right...

I know I made a studip mistake in the circle question... put the radius equal to 5 instead of 13 :mad: but never mind... I should do well!

ReputationRep:
    I found the paper pretty hard and glad everyone else did too, if i pulled off an E or even a D i will be very pleased.

I managed to do some of the proofs, the tanx + x one, and the question 7 area one part a). Also got alpha as 3 or -3 which i read people also got here.

ReputationRep:
    Well, i certianly didnt find this one easy, and im glad some of you didnt too!
    My problem was question 7. I was in a bit of a rush, and for some inexplicable reason, i started to differentiate after id seperated the variables out. Dont ask how, i dont know i did myself. All i know is it gave you something horrible which i gave up on. I'll be lucky to get 2 marks on Q7

As for the rest of the paper:

1/ So much for being easy! Well, i got somewhere with it so 1 o 2 marks

2/ The factor theorum, not a problem. Full marks here.

3/ The circle equation was easy. I got the equation of the line but forgot to multiply up to get it into integers. So lost just 1 mark.

4/ Everyone struggled with this but it really wasnt that bad. To get a correct answer was quite easy. To get it how they had it was difficult. You had to take out a factor of 1/42 (sinx +1)^-1 then everything fell into place.

5/Got the partial fraction correct, and i agreed with someone as for the series expansion. Wasnt there another part to this? If not, full marks

6/ For part a i didnt realise i needed to put the value pi/3 into the y= eqn to get the answer of pi/2. Oh well, lost 1 mark there maybe.
    Couldnt integrate the parametric eqns, but i could find the area of R (4 marks)

7/ See Above, lets not go there....

8/ When i first started part a i had 5 mins left so i got to the simultaneous equations, but worked em out wrong me thinks (got some horrible decimal answer for s) Couldnt do part b since i didnt do a, but since only 1 mark, not too fussed. Managed to prove that the angle was 60degs.
    Never even saw part d as time had gone. I couldnt tell you anyhing about it because i never physically saw the question.

SO i guess not too bad really. Its just q7 thats put me on a real downer, making me think ive done crap, but overall i think ive done alright. I just pray and hope for a C

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else completely bugger up the tangent circle question by using the hx + ky.... equation?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.