AND GOT TOTAL DIFF ANSWER?

Any help most appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    page 3:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meeps)
    page 2
    i meant this years. not last years mark allocation!
    if anyoen else remembers can you post it up

i remember
    1= 3marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candy88524)
    i meant this years.
    Indeed. Someone should post today's paper up now or else!

~Darkness~

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vman)
    Y DOES MY ANSWER DIFFER TO THE ANSWER IN THE PDF

I USED hx+ky+ ........
    AND GOT TOTAL DIFF ANSWER?

Any help most appreciated!
    i did it your way for the first time ever and it was in the exam! i messed it up and got a different answer as well. the right answer is in that pdf unforunately for us! but we will still get a couple of method marks for recognising the formula we could use and identifying the cordinates to use and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candy88524)
    i meant this years. not last years mark allocation!
    if anyoen else remembers can you post it up

i remember
    1= 3marks
    sorry! but that took me 20 minutes to do so appreciate it anyway! please bit a little more clearer next time a situation like this occurs though.

ReputationRep:
    oh yeh, apologies for the poor quality etc... its late and i'll do a better quality scan tomorrow with a scanner as opposed to my camera. also dont have access to the server for long so could someone download it and host it please . it goes offline very soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ainsworth)
    oh yeh, apologies for the poor quality etc... its late and i'll do a better quality scan tomorrow with a scanner as opposed to my camera. also dont have access to the server for long so could someone download it and host it please . it goes offline very soon
    sorry which board is this paper for?

ReputationRep:
    oh yeh, apologies for the poor quality etc...
    No need to apologise mate you have just made my day.

Respect to you my friend, you are a joker--top, top bloke.

May you be blessed with health, wealth and all the other good things in life. I am forever in your debt.

I love you.

~Darkness~

ReputationRep:
    sorry, OCR

not sure if anyone has already posted this so heres todays paper:

http://www.esan.org.uk/temp/1.jpg
    http://www.esan.org.uk/temp/2.jpg
    http://www.esan.org.uk/temp/3.jpg

enjoy, that was one b*****d of a paper.
    that wasnt the edexcel one...at least ppl can state what board theyre putting up!:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meeps)
    page 2
    i appreciate it, but if you had read the post more carefully, you would have not made the mistake, plus this forum i smainly talking about this years paper, why would they need to post up of last year, and i asked for the marks, so you could have easily just typed them up.

ReputationRep:
    just noticed i can actually put the paper on the forum itself giving it a try now.

thats the ocr paper, i'll be taking them offline from the other server so wouldn't try and download those anymore
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    The Edexcel paper was fairly difficult, but i found it do-able. Definately harder than last years...
    Does anyone have a complete set of answers for the exam. If not, id be happy and willing to contribute a complete set? (By complete, i mean the ones questions I attempted :P )

Question 1 seemed a lot of hassle for a 3 mark question, so i looked at it, then skipped it and went onto Question 2. Then it came to me so i went back and completed it off.

Question 2 was fairly simple. remainder of 3 for the first part. part b) show that p=-1, part c) factorise completely. I think my answer was x(2x+1)(x-1). A way of double checking this was correct was using the remainder theorem and dividing by (2x+3) from part a) and hopefully you should get a remainder of 3.

Question 3, the integration by substitution was cool. Managed to get to the answer for that pretty swiftly.

Question 4, if i remember correctly was the Partial fractions question that finished with the binomial theorem. Luckily that didnt involve any of the more difficult methods. i got 1/(1+2x) and 2/(1-x) for the partial fractions, which made it simple to use the binomial as it didnt ever require taking a factor out of the bracket.

Question 5 was the circle question. part a) (2 marks) required a cartesian equation of a circle center (5,13) that touched the x-axis. At first i put (x-5)^2 + (y-13)^2 = 25... then luckily spotted my mistake with a mintue left to go! I didnt have chance to change my numbers in part b) but luckily it didnt matter because when differentiating to find dy/dx and thus the gradient, the constants disappear anyway. So i guess i was kind of fortunate!

Question 6... Area under a curve with parametric equations... Thankfully, another "Show that" question. If i remember correctly, i think i got something along the lines of 6.ln(2) + (pi^2)/3 for my area underneath the curve.

Question 7. The Ink dot. Fairly simple. Chain rule and the such. However, i left my answer as -1/2(A^(-1/2)) = -t^(-1) - 1. Not entirely sure if examiners are going to be happy with that one.

Question 8... Vectors annoy me. Not because theyre difficult, but because they are so time consuming for little marks. i got the answer to 8d correct, but it took me 25 minutes to do it :\ If the distance between A and B is 14.sqrt(2) = sqrt(392) then the modulus of the distance must be sqrt(392). i got the distance to be s=+-2 away from the position vector of A. and as a check, once you have found the points B and C, you could take the modulus of the distance between B and C to show that it is sqrt(392) and thus proving it to be an equilateral triangle.

Phew!

Well, im sorry in advance if ive just repeated something everyone else has said. I literally signed up to this board after seeing this final page 17. I need to know if anyone else is getting the same answers as me?

The good thing about this exam, is that at least half the questions were a "show that" question. Despite the paper being difficult, im fairly sure UMS marks will go up due to the general difficulty of the paper.

Well, good luck to everyone for the rest of your exams... myself, i have S3 on friday.... Statistics... fun ¬_¬

Oh, and im stel by the way Hopefully ill be around.

EDIT:

A couple of other points i'd like to mention as well...
    As for last years grade boundries, A: 51/75, B: 43/73 etc. etc. Those are perfectly plausable as when an exam is peticularly hard or easy, the marks are pushed up and down accordingly. I remember taking the M2 exam in Januray... that exam was very difficult and i scored a UMS of 74 on it. yet i only answered 68% worth of the marks! UMS is applied by taking the distribution of all the marks and fitting it to a perfect Normal distribution. With a certain percentage of the people getting above 80% required for an A etc. etc.

Also, my mum is currently marking SAT's and GCSE Biology papers. She has been told by her supervisors to be very lenient with the marks this time round... why? Elections... our marks are going to be better than we expect this year becuase the government have told exam boards to raise grades, in order so they can say "hey! look, an increase in pass marks".

Hell! Im not complaining!

ReputationRep:
    someone sent this before.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf p3.pdf (53.2 KB, 320 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ResidentEvil)
    How come yer doing P1? Resit? I had 99/100 for P1 last year.
    I had 80/100 and thought I might as well retake just to take the pressure off my other modules. I have an AAA offer so anything to ease the stress is good.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jubba)
    someone sent this before.
    There's a mistake on binomial expansion question on that PDF. It says |3x|< 1. This is incorrect as if 3x = 1 or -1 then it doesn't get smaller as the indices increase and we therefore cannot neglect them in an approximation. It would be correct to say |3x|<1

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stelisevil)
    A couple of other points i'd like to mention as well...
    As for last years grade boundries, A: 51/75, B: 43/73 etc. etc. Those are perfectly plausable as when an exam is peticularly hard or easy, the marks are pushed up and down accordingly. I remember taking the M2 exam in Januray... that exam was very difficult and i scored a UMS of 74 on it. yet i only answered 68% worth of the marks! UMS is applied by taking the distribution of all the marks and fitting it to a perfect Normal distribution. With a certain percentage of the people getting above 80% required for an A etc. etc.

Also, my mum is currently marking SAT's and GCSE Biology papers. She has been told by her supervisors to be very lenient with the marks this time round... why? Elections... our marks are going to be better than we expect this year becuase the government have told exam boards to raise grades, in order so they can say "hey! look, an increase in pass marks".

Hell! Im not complaining!
    The normal distrribution is not perfect, it's skewed so they can decide how many A's they give out. I think it will be hardd marking because they have to show that there is a good reason to replace P1 with C1 and C2 and thus make A level maths easier.

MB

ReputationRep:
    dont expect it to be graphed lower man..
    it should be about 60/75 for an A
    i would say the least might be about 58 and the most would be around 62

i did the first question poory cause i misread cot x as sin x
    so i couldnt do it
    but i did write down the chain rule but i substituted the wrong thing
    so i would guess that i will get about 2/3 points for that...and thats with accordance to the marking scheme

i did the rest and had like 15 minutes left for the final question 8 d)
    even with 15 mins,i couldnt figure out how to do it..argh...jeeze
    oh well...an A is just enough for me

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.