The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I did edexcel too...and it was awful. I wasn't expecting to do well, but that exceeded bad....I need to get 157 marks this year to get a B (i got 263 last year) so think im gonna have to do much better on P2 and M2!!
Reply 101
Iluvatar
The last part was easy.
all you had to do is divide 14route2 by route98, and that was your answer for the s and t value.
Then you just had to put them into the first equations, and get the co-ords of B and C

I'm so pissed off with myself!!!! I actuallyt thought of that and did it...except for some reason i divided by 98 instead of rt 98!!!!! AAAAARGGHH!!!!!

I got stuck on loads of the questions...but i went backt o them at the end and managed to do most of them.

The first question...after initially getting stuck wasn't that bad....cos if you took cosec x out of the brackets..what was left cancelled out the bottom of the fraction....leaving -cosec x...

G
lou p
totally agree! i wanted to cry. nasty pasty OCR making a revolting paper *had to but heat and chocolate to cheer herself up*... so want to get drunk tonight and i answered my questions so completely and utterly out of order. and i honestly am not confident i answered any question correctly (or even the right method...)

lou xxx

i totally agree! i cant possibly have passed
cudnt prove Q1 but did Q4 with ease whats wrong with me
gzftan
I'm so pissed off with myself!!!! I actuallyt thought of that and did it...except for some reason i divided by 98 instead of rt 98!!!!! AAAAARGGHH!!!!!

Well, you'll get most of the marks for it, as you only made a small mistake.
Hopefully the grade boundaries will be lower this year...like they did last year
Reply 106
kriztinae
ok lets try and refresh our memory!
1) that ln of shit derivatives of cotx and cosecx
2) the factor theorem and the remainder theorem
3) circles
4) integration by substitution
5) partial fractions then expand in ascending powers
6) parametric equations and integration
7) rates of change
8) vectors!
am i right?

I had no idea what to go about question 1. I took the wrong derivative for cotx, and totally messed up afterwards. 2, 3 and 4 were easy. I think I didn't finish part b cause it slipped my mind, or maybe I did get it.. I don't remember. I'm not too sure how I did on 6, but I got a=(Pi/2)sqrt(3), proved part b and I think I got part c right too. Part b of question seven was kinda tricky, I had to do it three times and I still don't know if I got it right. Question 8... SUCKED. It was terrible! I got the first two parts easily, but couldn't prove cos@=60. Moreover, I crossed out ALL my work (which would have gotten me all the method marks), and put something completely wrong instead. I had no time left to think about solving part d, so yeah...

It was really really hard, but a lot of people from my school thought it was easy and a few of them said they'll be getting full marks. :frown: I really want the boundaries to be low.
Reply 107
wonder what you'll have to get to get 50 UMS! think thats sort of what i need
Reply 108
Yeh i got all of the questions and i know i am rite for most of them.
except the last part of question d i did it in a lvery long way but know that my anser is rite :biggrin:
you know on question 8 did any1 got a=0 or just me
Reply 110
daaamn that was nasty...
I could do most of them, but they were very different from the ones i've done in practice papers.
I reckon edexcel is trying to justify making next years exams easy by making these ones hard! damn them!!
Reply 111
I predict 60% is needed for an A.
Reply 112
Iluvatar
Well, you'll get most of the marks for it, as you only made a small mistake.

Hope so...

With regards to UMS marks...i heard that they don't standardise up that much...i haven't seent he actual figures and stats...but they never normally vary more than a few marks higher or lower than the actual mark you get in the paper i think...:frown:

G
from the reaction of our "top student" at my college i think the boundaries will be lower. First time i ever seen him gormless lol
Neutrinohunter
from the reaction of our "top student" at my college i think the boundaries will be lower. First time i ever seen him gormless lol

I thought it was an OK paper :rolleyes:
lexazver203
you know on question 8 did any1 got a=0 or just me

I think just you.
Reply 116
oh dear lord. the edexcel paper was a bitch.
q1 i managed eventually i think i i said let u = whatever it was, then did the chain rule. i think you had to multiply by -1 to get it to cancel, which i did (perhaps unsuccessfully!) but i got it.
circles fine. vectors fine - i got cos 0.5 = a.b / root 98 14 root 2 then ran out of time. couldnt get the same answer for the integration by sub but close. partial fractions fine. factor theorum fine.
couldnt really do the parametric q. the rates q i did parts of but im not sure if its right.
im stressing now - i need 76% on average in p2, p3, s1 and s2 for an A (p2 and s1 are resits).
Iluvatar
I think just you.

i now know why i cos i had 3t = 6 even tho t was 3o bollcoks maybe ill get some method marks
Reply 118
i heard it was 61% in jan for an A?
*dave*
question 1 - no chance

all the other were ok but it was wierd

the tant + t bit. I couldnt get that. My value of a was piroot3/2 which wasn't the pi/3 ... so i guess i got that wrong. But my answer to the integral was syumthing like 6ln2 -3 or sumthing like that?

I got alpha as -3. I got the 8 mark substiution proof right (dunno how!) and I got the proof in the other one aswell (cant remember wot it was).

For the rates of change i got 4t^2 - 3 or sumthing like that and I got the 60degrees one in the vectors.

for the fractions one i got A=1 and B=2 or the other way round 9cant remember) and I got -11 as the coeff of x^2 but i cant remember the rest

Overall though, for a hard paper I think I did ok? Can anyone reassure me and say that they got the same as me in those questions? lol

ok, let me go through my answers, if i can remember them, some of them are def wrong,

couldn't do q1, made up some strange answers

circle question, was the eqn (x-5)^2 + (y-3)^2 = 9?
for the values was it just something like y-a= 2/15x - b, then you just times everything by 15, or was it 12, i really need the paper in front of me to remember,

same as above (that person's answer) for a and b values in fractions q, and stated that x cannot equal 1/2, and mod x < 1/3, and i got 3- something liek 7x, and i think -11x^2, can't remember, but there was a 3

couldn't get the tant+t at all, it was so hard! anyone know? x=3tsint, y=2sint
and the P(a,4), i got a as 90root3, my intergral was 18- pi^2/3

vectors, could do al apart from last question, didn't you guys get s and t already, s= 1, and t was something like -3.

the oil stain, that second derivative to find A=, i got a bizarre A^5/2 = 1/2(t^-2.... something something, anyone got an answer similar?

Latest

Trending

Trending